CA 125 good-how much can I count on that? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

CA 125 good-how much can I count on that? CA 125 good-how much can I count on that?

Unread 04-27-2003, 08:51 PM
CA 125 good-how much can I count on that?

Dear Annie,

A friend brought me a present that really helped with the staples. And that was three pairs of men's large cotton boxer shorts. They aren't binding, and they're great to wear when recovering from abdominal surgery. The staples themselves weren't bad. I was just concerned that they might catch on something, so loose boxers made a big difference.

I hope that a gynecological oncologist can at least consult with your gynecologist, just in case. I also hope that your situation turns out to be benign. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2003, 03:41 AM

SirenSong, how very good it is to hear from you!! Large men's boxer shorts it is! They are going on my shopping list! My pre-op counseling session is the 14th or 15th. I will also talk with my doctor about the gyn/onc.

Now, how are YOU doing, SirenSong? Been thinking 'bout you!
Unread 04-28-2003, 08:09 PM

I have taken a ca-125 test three times in the last six weeks. The first time it was 305, second 95, and the last time it was 80 the tests were taken about three week apart. I had a hysterectomy in July of 02. I''m having a hysterectomy/bso/ appendectomy in June. Yes I know it sound strange but that's what the dr. put on down on sheet. I have been told I have cyst. hypoechoic, leiomyoma, scar tissue. I'm beginning to get worried. Has anyone had ca-125 this high and did not have cancer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2003, 08:47 PM
ca125

My ca125 was only 11 and I did end up having it. Dr was so sure it wasn't, but the test is not that reliable either way
Unread 04-29-2003, 03:42 AM

I guess I'll just have to wait and see, Harryson. Thanks. Sulene, I would be concerned, too. I hope you get some answers!
Unread 05-10-2003, 04:09 PM

Sulene,

My surgeon told me he had a patient with a CA125 in the hundred thousands and it ended up being Pulmonary embolisms! (clots in lung), so it can be high for a variety of reasons. Mine was 353 before surgery and it ended up being 'low malignant potential tumors' (NOT CANCER!) and at my 1st 3 month check-up, my CA125 had fallen to 5.6! I was thrilled. I think it can be a very useful tool AFTER diagnosis, not so useful BEFORE...it is a very sensitive test, meaning it can be positive for a variety of reasons, but it is not specific, meaning it picks up things other than ovarian cancer. My surgeon also explained if you took 100 people with positive CA125 tests, 3 of them would have cancer.

I hope you get good news!

God Bless!
Unread 05-10-2003, 04:45 PM

...and God bless you too, Sulene, for taking a moment to talk with me. I'm pretty well resigned now to wait and see...which is good, since there's nothing else I can do anyway. It will probably be okay, but if it isn't, then, after meeting some of the fine ladies on this site, I know I can face it and deal with it! At any rate, I'll know soon now. I have preop tests and counselling next week and surgery on the 29th. Thanks, again!
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:30 PM

Annie thank you for your kind words. I will be praying for you especially on the 29th. My surgery is June the 5th. I have severe endometriosis. I hope that what's causing my ca-125 to be high. I had surgery last July my uterus and right ovary were suppose to have been removed. However some of my ovary and uterus were left so I'm having another hyst.
Unread 05-10-2003, 06:25 PM

Oh my, Sulene. I'm sorry you're having to go through that twice! I too will be thinking of you and saying a prayer. We'll be recouperating at pretty much the same times. I pray for B9 for us both, dear lady!!
Unread 05-10-2003, 07:28 PM

a CA125 number of 9 sure sounds good to me...

As for the staples... they are a piece of cake... I had 2 c-sections (cut up and down) both with staples. It actually sounds worse than it is.

Right after the surgery my doctor put what looks like a big velcro girdle around my stomach. It kinda holds everything in place and protects the staples. I also did not get any kind of bloating because of the belt.

Keep in touch

Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register