Burch and LSH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Burch and LSH Burch and LSH

Unread 04-24-2003, 10:40 AM
Burch and LSH

Anyone out there who has had pelvic prolapse repair and a Burch? If so, I'd like to talk about recovery. I am frustrated with my exercise restrictions after my six-week checkup. the doc still wants me to walk onlyl although he said I can now add light upper body weight work. Still no ab exercises as he says anything that stresses the abs isn't good for a healing Burch.

Prior to surgery an avid Spinner (stationery bike classes -- very challenging), weight lifting, occasional kickboxing, weekly Pilates.

Apparently Spinning is out until the Fall. I am bummed.

Yes, it is amazing to sneeze and not pee myself. My husband says I should check this out as the doc may be being extremely conservative.

Your thoughts fellow Princesses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2003, 11:08 AM
Burch and LSH

I am in the same boat. prior to developing stress incontinence, I was a runner. I had to quit running because of that and switched to biking and walking. I also lifted weights and did yoga. My MD did Ok the stationery bike and walking ay 6 weeks, but did not release me to do yoga and weights yet. It is frustrating as I see my weight begin to creep up. Some many MDs give different instructions. I am saddened by the restrictions for now and life, but want my repairs to hold and not to have to go through surgery again. BTW why did your MD say no biking or was it just no spinning classes because of their intensity? Also what size weights were you OK'd to use?
Unread 04-24-2003, 11:39 AM
Spinning/weights

No Spinning yet because of the pressure on my butt due to those tiny little racing saddles.

He said I can lift up to 20 lbs., so can use 2 10 lb. barbells (woo hooo!) or do curls with a 15-20 lb. dumb bell.

He also said I could go ahead and do a Power Flex class (don't know if you are familiar w/these -- low weight, high reps in a class setting -- fun) but none of the lower bod work hwich includes squats, lunges, dead lifts, etc. So what's the point, y'know?

I felt like screaming: "Spinning burns up to 800 calories a class, Jack!" but thta would be counterproductive, wouldn't it?"

Then he's pressing around on my jelly belly (three kids/four years/all in my 30s/2 c-secs) and telling me no ab exercises. Sheesh!! I mean, the only time I was close to a hard body was in my late 20s b4 kids. I don't want a six-pack at my age (50) -- just strength, fitness and good muscle mass! Very frustrating.

Has your doc said anything about running in the future? I'm thinking that may be the natural evolution from walking.

See how every doc is different? Mine released me to walk as soon as it felt ok, which meant I was walking in the house immediately -- took my first tottering walk outside by day four with DH's arm as support.

I'm with you about the surgery holding, but gosh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2003, 12:49 PM
Burch and LSH

Hi, Linda & Kelle! I didn't have any repairs, but here is a great site for what to expect for surgery on the bladder http://www.mybladdermd.com/dischargeinstructions.htm

I think your dr is wise to limit your stress on healing tissues so that the repairs aren't "undone." You don't want to go through surgery again! You'll be back to exercising in good time, but take it on gradually and less intense at first. Best wishes in continued healing
Ruthie
Unread 04-24-2003, 01:34 PM
Burch and LSH

(((Linda))))) With your pre-surgery activity level, I can understand how frustrated you must be with all your restrictions

I had my hyst for fibroids and rectocele repairs. Thanks to the repairs, I also had continuing restrictions after I was released to resume most of my normal activities: I'm a very seditentary person

My doctor explained that it was to protect the new repairs.

I'm now over 2 years post-op and I'm still very careful when lifting over 20 lbs. That's because I've since read on this site that, in most cases, the lifting and straining restrictions after repair surgery are permanent. I figure that it's because of the issue that in addition to the repair surgery, we are also lacking the support of the cervix because of our hysts.

BTW, I'm 46, carried 2 very large babies (both over 9 lbs) when I was in mid/late thirties (I was 39 when my youngest was born), "carried" a large fibroid for 4 years and 50 lbs extra was most of the past 12 years. As mentionned earlier, I am rather sedentary though, in the past year I've increased, slightly, my activity level: I walk, bike, swim in the summer, etc. Well, I've since lost those extra lbs and have seen my tummy get a lot flatter than it's been in a long, long time Hopefully, you will also see a slim, fit body in the months to come, without damaging the repairs.

Sending lots of soothing s your way.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register