Is this a normal thing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is this a normal thing? Is this a normal thing?

Unread 04-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Is this a normal thing?

I went on BCP's a week and a half ago for cyclical pelvic pain. Well, after only a few days on the pill, I noticed my pain come on(a whole 2 weeks earlier than expected). My face is breaking out and I am having that ovarian pain, just like I normally do, but earlier than usual. Is it normal to have symptoms worsen when you first start BCP's? And if so, it gets better, right?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2003, 02:17 PM
Is this a normal thing?

I would touch base with the prescribing doc and let them know, not every bcp is for everyone....I had to try two or three before I found one that I could tolerate and worked well for me.....course I don't have ovaries anymore so it's slightly different

Some bcp's have higher doses, and some cycle by having different levels of hormones in different pills.......I would ask the doc what she/he thinks of your symptoms and go from there but if it's supposed to be helping the pain and it's worse I wouldn't think that was a great sign, then again you could just be gettingi adjusted? JMHO!!! 's!!!
Unread 04-24-2003, 03:06 PM
Is this a normal thing?

(((Pasdechat))) I agree with (((gidge)))... not everyone responds the same way to every bcp, and while it's early to tell for sure, it may turn out that this isn't the right one for you. I'd let your DR know what your 'initial reaction' has been like and put the ball in his court.

What bcp pill and dosage are you taking? And is it the same every day of your cycle or does it cycle? Just curious.

Hope things get better really soon!
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2003, 07:29 PM
Is this a normal thing?

I agree with (((gidge))) and (((Linda)))....let your doctor decide.

I did have a short period where things got worse before getting better when I first started the bcp's post hyst. I am taking Ortho-Tricylen and since I do not take the "reminder pills" my cycles are only 3 weeks apart.

I will add that I had tried this same bcp pre hyst and had lots of trouble with it.....now post op it does fine.
Unread 04-24-2003, 09:57 PM
Is this a normal thing?

Thanks for the advice ladies

I am on Levlen 0.15/0.03(whatever those numbers mean???). That's all the info I can give you about these pills. I never tried Levlen before my hysterectomy. The pharmacist did warn me that I might notice an increase in acne for the first couple weeks, so I figure this pain must be normal since I have this same pain with my acne each month. It's no fun though! Tonight, when I was in alot of pain(it has eased up quite a bit now), my doctor's words kept going through my head.....he said "if BCP's don't work for you in a few months, then we'll talk about removing your ovaries." It's times like these that I just want them out of there!!!!!! I will call my doctor in the morning. Thanks again!
Unread 04-24-2003, 10:08 PM
Is this a normal thing?

(((Pasdechat))) here's a link to Levlen's website:

http://www.womenslifestages.com/d_2_products.html

The first number in the dosage is the amount (mg) of ethinyl estradiol per day and the second number is the amount (mg) of the progestin they call levonorgestrel. Levlen is made by the same folks who make the Climara patch.

Yes, your symptoms will mimic those of the phase of your cycle where your estrogen/progesterone levels were about like what you're now taking, if that makes any sense

I'm hoping this will work great for you!
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-25-2003, 07:59 AM
:smile: HI PASDACHAT

PASDACHAT..JUST WANTED TO SAY I HAVE KNOWN SOME WOMEN TO TAKE A LOW DOSE OF BCS CALLED YASMIN. PEOPLE I HAVE KNOWN TO TAKE THEM ICLUDING MY DAUGHTER SAY THEY ARE VERY TOLERABLE. NO SIDE EEFECTS AND HAVE A NATURAL DIREUTIC IN THEM(NO WATER RETENTION). MY DAUGHTER HAS SUFFERED WITH THE OVARY PAIN FOR YEARS AND SINCE ON YASMIN FOR 2 YRS SHE HAS NO OVARY PAIN WHAT SO EVER ANY MORE. JUST A SUGGESTION.. HUGS TO YOU....ANGEL:SMILE:
Unread 04-25-2003, 08:23 AM
Is this a normal thing?

I agree with angeleyes.........yasmin is an excellent BCP with much success and no side effects. Know of some women who tried them all and yasmin has been the one that worked best for them. Ortho-triclyclene is also one of the better BCP's that I have dealt with. You may need to give any BCP 3 months for total effectiveness but checking with your doctor to find the right one for you is the best advice I can give you. Good luck sweetie, you deserve it!

Emily s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register