cancer/hysterectomy journey - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cancer/hysterectomy journey cancer/hysterectomy journey

Unread 04-28-2003, 12:50 PM
cancer/hysterectomy surgery

I have just discovered this web site, and it is truly a God send. I have been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and will undergo a TAH within a week's time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2003, 03:06 PM
cancer/hysterectomy journey

Hello Wild Rose

Just one year ago, April 18th I had a hysterectomy and was also diagnosed with ovarian cancer. I am not going to say that it was all fun and games BUT the whole ordeal was doable. And now, one year later, I look back and say, WOW I DID IT!!

You will too Wild Rose!!

Rosalie
Unread 04-28-2003, 04:19 PM

Welcome! If I can add my two cents, I bought a wig 3 weeks ago. Still had hair, so I thought I would go becauswe they could match my hair. I got a half synthetic/ half human hair and the color matches pretty well. The trouble is it does itch, so I got a wig cap and that does help. But I still don't feel comfortable in it. Some people love it, I think I'm more of a hats and scarf person. But I justify the wig by all the money I'm saving in haircuts and dye jobs!! So I'll save the wig for special occasions. I get so many hot flashes the last thing I need is a sweaty head.

My hair fell out by thinning, not in clumps. but hair was into every thing. I just shaved it off! But my 4th chemo session is over, with 2 more to go. Can't wait.

Good luck.
Barbara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2003, 05:42 PM
To: Rosalie

Thank you! Hyster Sisters are beautiful and strong! I had adenocarcinoma of the duodenum last Sept., and it was operated on. Managed that with a great spirit! Now!!!, something else! My gynecologist/oncologist is wonderful, but...! unless one has been there (and HE! hasn't!), it is so vital to me to contact those of us who are going there or who have been there. Rosalie, thank you so much for responding.
Unread 04-29-2003, 12:39 AM

Dear Mojo23,

I am so bald right now. It's a whole new look that I don't exactly appreciate. :-)

My hair starting falling out around Day 14 after my first Taxol/Carboplatin treatment (just as the people on this board said it would), so my friend came over and cut it into a (blonde) Halle Barry pixie cut. That lasted about three days, and then my mom shaved the sides and back. I held onto the hair on top for another week, but that finally had to go, too. Having some hair on top makes a big difference. Once it went, the overall look became more, uh, shocking.

Not that I'm looking all that much, but I do find it easier to look at myself in the mirror when I have something covering my head. I'm mostly enjoying a black "lovie" that I bought from the American Cancer Society catalog. Another good head coverings site is www.headcovers.com.

I'm sure I'll get more creative with my head coverings as time wears on, and I'm considering buying some sort of wig, since I may not have a decent amount of hair until the holidays. I'll have to think about that, though. If I did buy one, it would mostly be because I have to meet with clients, and I'm not sure they would "get" a hat with "wispies."

I do not have a port, and so far, I am glad that I don't. My doctor recommended against it. I think there are pros and cons to it, so ask your doctor what he/she thinks is best for you. You're two years younger than me, but I don't know if age has anything to do with vein usability.

I wish you the very best of luck with your surgery! And . . . if there's one recommendation I can make . . . it would be to forego the post-surgery pain medication when you start chemo. Either that or be sure to take a lot of stool softeners. If your bowel seizes up like mine did, you might find yourself screaming in agony and having to go back to the hospital. This is learning from just a few weeks ago, so I want to share it. :-)

s for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register