Just one thing after another . . . | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just one thing after another . . . Just one thing after another . . .

Unread 04-26-2003, 01:21 PM
Just one thing after another . . .

Hi,

I'm just feeling kind of bummed. Just when I thought I was on the road to normal I've been hit by a flare of my IBD and I feel like death warmed over. I still have some abdominal soreness in places from my surgery. I'm so fatigued I can't drive yet and my surgery was on February 14!! I'm feeling kind of sorry for myself. :cry:

I'm also having a hard time getting ready to see some new doctors. You know what it's like - have to review my history and current condition. Having X-rays on Monday (just hip and cervical spine) and a bone density later. The following week I see a doctor for Pain Management (new), my surgeon (old but have new concerns), and a who does Osteopathy. At least I can prepare for them all at once and not drag it out, but it's depressing. My darling gd wants me to go places with her and I just can't.

Tell me this will pass. I keep thinking I'll get better but it's starting to feel like a really long haul here. FM is in a flare for the first time in a really long time, too. What's going on, anyway?? Change of season? Cripes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2003, 01:43 PM

Aw, (((Joselle))), I understand the frustration... I'm starting to get real sick of sitting around not doing much of anything myself! I still can't have my kids back with me full time because it just hurts too much to drive as much as they need me to. I do OK walking or reclining, but it's the sitting up (anything that even slightly crunches the tummy) that is soooo uncomfortable, and if I try to do it anyway I get really cranky!

I'm so sorry you're still feeling this way. I wish I had an answer, other than that our bodies have been through a whole lot and the internal healing that we can't see takes a long, long time. But you know that, and besides, it doesn't make it any easier when we see our kids (or grandkids) off leading their busy lives without us and we can't join in! :cry:

I hope it helps to know that you're not alone
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-26-2003, 01:58 PM
It will pass, I promise! Think summer!

Hi Joselle,

I'm so sorry you're in pain right now. I have arthritis that flares during weather changes, especially spring and fall, and have been learning to adjust my pain medicine based on the forecast! Spring is the hardest, though, 'cause fronts move in and out rapidly, and then it sort of shocks your body with the pain, which causes the emotional reaction, which doesn't make the pain any easier to deal with. I love the heat of summer, but we just aren't even close here in Montana yet.

Since you can't drive, can you do a hot tub or hot bath? I add epsom salts (2 cups at least) to a bath as hot as I can stand it. Oh joy!

I understand about the new Dr's too. I actually find myself pretty worked up before medical appointments, anymore, so I always start my lists of questions a week or two early. I also make sure to write down sort of a "briefing" for my regular doc ahead of time -- just what's been going on, including flares or other docs I've seen, including treatments I've been hearing about.

Have you been to a Pain Management Doc before? I found the appointments so helpful and validating -- since their job is to work with patients in pain, they really understand the language and struggle people with chronic pain experience. I found myself crying in relief to have someone listen and seem to understand my experience. I hope it is this way for you.

Thinking of you today,
Loretta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2003, 07:45 PM

((((Joselle))))) I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time right now I have IBS and it's been flaring with the change of seasons. However, right now I have some type of bug that involves extreme gastritis, so be sure to rule this possibility out before blaming it on IBD: that's what I did, and it was only when I started to also have a fever that I realized that it wasn't the IBS flaring up.

I think that hot bath therapy, if you are allowed to do it, might help a lot, both with the sore tummy and the FM flare up.

Sending tons of s your way and hoping you feel better soon.
Unread 04-26-2003, 10:56 PM

I am so sorry that you are feeling so down right now..

I am right there with ya sister.... I have had to tell my kids that I can not go anywhere this past week because not only have I been sick, but they wanted to go bowling and lord knows I could not do that right now!!

I also am in the same boat with the Dr's. I am scheduled at the Pain Management clinic for my back and I feel like I am going in circles since I have already seen a Neuro and he happened to get deployed due to the war and now I am starting all over again. I have had my MRI scans for almost 3 months and just got a letter asking me to return them if I am not in need of them. WELL, I have to take them to the new Dr so I need them and will have to go down and re-sign a release form to keep them longer.

Know that you are not alone and I will keep you in my prayers!! It will pass, but I also cant see the road ahead.

Unread 04-27-2003, 08:01 AM

Thanks so much for your replies. It does help to know I'm in good company.

Linda, you're right, it's hard to watch the world go on and feel like we can't be a part of it. I know in my head that things will get better but there's this part of me that isn't quite sure, know what I mean?

Loretta, I try to make my lists for my doctors ahead of time, too. My main computer has been down for the last little while and I didn't have access to my files. But I've been starting the organizing in my head and I know just thinking of all this stuff is part of what's getting me down. I have not seen a pain management doctor before, so your encouragement is nice. I hope I do have the same experience, as my fear, of course, is thaqt I'll be told I either don't qualify for help or that there is nothing they can do for me.

Dany, thanks for reminding me that things do flare with change of seasons. I suppose I should have taken a real clue from the fact that it seems that *everything* is in a flare right now.

Pam, I'm sorry you're having to wait on doctors, too. I guess I'm lucky that there was a cancellation with the Osteopath so that I'll see all three doctors in three days. That will be emotionally and physically exhausting but at least I'll have an idea of who can help and who can't.

It's such hard work being your own advocate and seeing that you get the help you deserve, isn't it?

Thanks again.
Unread 04-28-2003, 06:50 PM
The Weather!

Dear Joselle,
I guess we get our weather in MT from you in WA about 2 days later -- and please feel validated. This is the worst front of the spring yet -- my arthritis is just acting up something awful. Please tell me the end is in sight. We are actually having snow.

Hope you are feeling better?
Loretta
Unread 04-28-2003, 09:49 PM
Just of thing after another

Joselle and Others,

I know exactly how you all feel and hope you will find some kind of relief soon.

I am in the same boat. I had a TVH 5/2001 and surgery again on 2/4/03 and 2/14/03. I had complications on 2/4/03 and they had to discontinue to surgery and finish the planned procedures on 2/14. I had a vaginal prolapse fixed, hernia repairs, adhesions removed and a rectocle repair. I am 10 or 11 weeks post op and I am miserable. I went back to work last week for 5-6 hours, but I cannot sit or any long period of time. This rectocele repair is painful and so uncomfortable. I really think something is wrong with it, although the doctor says everything looks good.

I started biofeedback and physical therapy 3 weeks ago, and that has not helped yet. The doctor says the pressure and tissue I feel in the vagina is from the scar tissue from the rectocele repair and recommended the physical therapy etc.

I am so depressed about all of this. One reason I had the surgery was because of the trouble I had sitting etc. Now the problem seems worse.

I am willing to try the therapy for awhile, but I don't know how long I can continue with the pressure and pain.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this.

Thanks and good luck. I pray we will all find some kind of relief.

Debbie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register