Complex Carbohydrate Intolerance - has anyone heard of this? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Complex Carbohydrate Intolerance - has anyone heard of this? Complex Carbohydrate Intolerance - has anyone heard of this?

Unread 04-27-2003, 07:01 AM
Complex Carbohydrate Intolerance - has anyone heard of this?

Recently I saw an ad for Beano in a regional magazine and they were talking about "Complex Carbohydrate Intolerance". My research shows that there seems to be a link between this condition and lactose intolerance (which my mom has) and diabetes (which is rampant in my family) When I looked at the list of symptoms, which included and bloated feelings after eating vegetables/fruits, beans, some processed foods and grains/cereals/nuts/seeds, I realized that those are things that are likely to trigger IBS flareups.

Here are link sI found on this condition that explains the condition:

http://www.hendrickhealth.org/healthy/000262.htm

http://www.gmhc.org/living/treatment/bloat.html

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz...bohydrates.htm

There were more!!! I'm pretty sure I still have IBS, what with the spastic colon etc., but that one of the trigger might be intolerance to complex carbohydrates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2003, 12:01 PM

(((Dany))) I don't have IBS, but I just wanted to put in a good word for Beano, too, it is great stuff! I like the drops better than the little pill but I think they both work the same. I keep a little bottle in the kitchen and take some whenever I have any potentially 'gassy' foods, and it does a great job of preventing those problems!
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-27-2003, 02:45 PM

Hi Dany,
I read your post and did a quick search on the net and found lots of info. The reason your post was of interest to me is that I am doing the carbohydrate addicts diet. (Similar to Adkins diet). It really works for me and I feel better with much more energy. I know it isn't for every one.

If you suspect this with your body, you may want to read the book for the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet: A heart healthy Approach. I think the author is Heller. It is amazing. I hope it works for you. It is definately worth trying.

I know you don't need to lose weight, but it is a good way to learn and read about what carbs and processed foods do to us. I hope you find relief. Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2003, 03:53 PM

((((imalith)))) I've been investigating the carbohydrate addicts' diet, for the simple reason that, like many others, I've noticed that once I start eating some of the trigger foods, I simply can't stop

I was especially interested with this ad (too bad it was in french, or I would have tried to get a link to it) because it listed all of the symptoms I've been associating with IBS triggers.

I think that our bodies are such complex entities, and that we react to so many things in different things that it's a wonder doctors can even pose a dx!!!

BTW: I'v been trying to maintain a healthy, but have been lots of problems doing it, hence my interest in the carb addict's diet.
Unread 04-27-2003, 04:11 PM

(((Dany))) just as an aside.... recovering from this latest surgery is teaching me some things about bowel symptoms. At some point I'll post about it (gotta get the thoughts in order, could take a while ) but...

I noticed early on that when I ate, a little bit (maybe 10 minutes) later I would have pretty sharp pains down in the lower abdomen. When I mentioned this to the surgeon, he said that's because as soon as you start eating, whatever was in your small intestine dumps into your colon (I think I remember from school it's called the ileo-colic reflex?), and since now my colon is ridiculously short, I have about a 10 minute transit time, during which I have pains as the mass there distends the areas that were stitched during the surgery. Then I get the urge to have a bm, and it all feels much better.

(This reminds me of the fact that when my DS's were little, I'd take them to a restaurant, and we'd sit down, they'd order their meal and have some bread and butter and a glass of water and we'd have a nice chat, and then they would suddenly have to have a bm as soon as the main dishes arrived, thus ensuring that we all ended up eating cold entrees . Now I understand why! But I digress.)

The point is, there may be tender areas (caused by the surgery for me, but often caused by adhesions in anyone who's had abdominal surgery a while back) that get pulled on when the fecal mass (sorry), or even a pocket of gas, passes through the area. "Bulkier" (i.e. high carbohydrate) foods are going to distend it more than the "low residue" foods which is why I had to be on a low residue diet for a little bit there. I would think that Beano might help by enabling the mass to be a little better digested by the time it hits the colon.

I've found that as I heal, the pains are less but I can still definitely feel the process taking place. I wonder if sometimes what we call IBS isn't just the 'normal' transit process occurring but pulling on areas that ought to be free but may be bound up in adhesions from the hyst or other surgeries?

I hope I didn't offend anyone with this, it's a yucky subject, but this thread just got me thinking - always a dangerous proposition.
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-27-2003, 04:27 PM

((((Linda))))) Keep thinking: you always make a whole lot of sense I know that what you're saying explains exactly the way I feel most of the time after eating fruits or vegies (they're the main triggers for me): give or take 10-15 minutes, and I'll feel the bloating start.

I'm thinking that, in my case, it might be that air bubbles form (that what it feels like: gigantic air bubbles) as these trigger foods are digested. And, for some reason, my system can't digest them as easily as it digests other foods, hence the bloating remaining for several days.

Where the spastic colon is, the adhesion theory makes a lot of sense: I never had that problem until about 5 months after my hyst. The fact it tends to be cyclic might be that the ovary and bowels are adhered, hence the fact that it hurst more at PMS time.

All this shows that abdominal surgery should really only be considered as a last resort
Unread 04-28-2003, 12:09 AM

Hey all,

Great ideas and advice here. I found just about everything you guys have written here to be true....... only I had to find it all out the hard way... of course! I have IBS too and about three years ago when I decided it was finally time to loose that baby fat (my dd is 11 now!) I went on the Atkins diet. I am telling you, I felt so good. It was amazing! I have been on the diet, just for "feel good" reasons now for almost 3 years. I feel so much better on this diet that when, on occasion, I do fall off of it (I'm only human) and eat that huge piece of carrot cake ala mode, I find that I am soooooooo sorry! So, yes, I am a believer. Carbs are my enemy. But not all carbs. Through the process of elimination (no pun) and by keeping a food journal, I have nailed down my bad carbs and I try to stay away from them. The absolute worst carb food for me, and of course my all time favorite...... Pizza. Every time I eat it, I get sick now..... pain, BLOATING, gas, it's like the dough is trying to rise inside me. Gross. Good luck with this. Keeping a food journal really will help you, try it.

hugs, val
Unread 04-28-2003, 12:18 AM

Yes, I would think a low carb diet (assuming it's OK with your DR) would probably feel a lot better... another thing that helps is eating frequent small meals or snacks ('grazing') rather than three big meals a day. That way, the volume of stuff passing through your colon at any one time would be less so it would stress the problem areas less.

I know that's true with me now... I feel much better when I snack throughout the day than if I try to eat a big dinner Though I do make one of my 'snacks' two Metamucil cinnamon wafers with a big glass of water (not nearly as bad as it sounds ).

(((Dany))) remember, though, that whatever is 'dumping' into your colon when you eat is not that meal's food, but digested food from 8 to 12 hours before... so when the pains happen, think back a meal or two to try to see what the trigger might be.

-Linda
Unread 04-29-2003, 11:07 AM

Yes, journaling helps!!! Because I'm still trying to achieve and maintain a healthy weight, I'm still attending my weekly group meetings and still keeping a journal of all I eat.... I make sure to include all I eat that I'm not supposed to eat, so I know why the weight krept up....

I know what my triggers are: fruits and vegetables and stress. Not all fruits, not all vegetables: citrus fruits, dark green vegies and vegies in the cabage family are the worse culprits. Most times, it will take several hours for the bloating to start, however, when I've eaten something very fibrous (like the fruits I had for Easter dinner) I will be more likely to feel it almost immediately.

BTW, I also keep those Metamucil Cinnamon Wafers handy... they actually taste pretty good and are quite effective, and gently at that
Unread 04-29-2003, 11:16 AM

Hmm....dark green veggies and cabbage family? You might want to try Beano--it sounds like the foods with sulforophanes (I could be spelling that right) give you trouble, and a little Beano could very possibly help with that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register