Chemo No. 2 = So Much More Tolerable | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Chemo No. 2 = So Much More Tolerable Chemo No. 2 = So Much More Tolerable

Unread 04-29-2003, 12:22 AM
Chemo No. 2 = So Much More Tolerable

To all the kind and thoughtful women who wrote me such wonderful notes of support:

I am pleased to report that after my second chemo treatment, I experienced about 1/50th of the pain that I experienced after the first. The mind-numbing bone pain was something I could bear, and the other hysterical-crying pain never surfaced. I was able to control my nausea much better, and did not have to go even one day without eating a little something.

Changes we made included two extra days of steroids, smoking weed (don't need it now, but smoked it for 5-6 days), stool softeners (Colace and Kondremul) and lots of water. I had the nurse let me finish the bag of saline (which was only 1/4th empty after the Carboplatin IV), which I think helped with the hydration side of things. I've also been taking a B-complex vitamin, which seemed to eliminate the numb toes I had last time.

This time around, I didn't take any pain medication. No narcotics, no Tylenol, no Motrin, no anything. This seemed to help keep my bowel from seizing up and deciding not to work. I've been taking hot/warm baths, which someone told me helped keep the bowel working. I've also been taking "probiotics," which are "live culture" by-mouth capsules that replace the natural "flora" of the bowel.

My joints are still achey. But it's interesting to watch my body recover. Four days ago, I couldn't make it from our house to the dock (about 80 yards). But today I took a three-mile nature walk with my dad. And I only had to rest once.

My CA125 is now 8 (after one chemo). It was 161 before surgery and 17 before chemo. My diet continues to be awful, consisting of macaroni and cheese, potato chips, ice cream and other stuff. I tried to have some chicken, but it tasted like wood pulp. I am counting the days until I can once again eat a salad. :-) Gatorade seems to be helping replenish my potassium, thus giving me more energy.

I hope all this isn't too much information. I just wanted to let you know what was working for me. Continued prayers and hugs to the many wonderful people who care about me from afar. Your prayers and kind thoughts ARE WORKING, and I am blessed to have your support! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2003, 04:04 AM

SirenSong, I'm so glad that the second time around was easier for you, bad and tough though it was! I wish for you healing--complete healing. God bless you!! You're a caring, supportive person, strong and positive too. Lots of folks here care about you--including me. I pray for your healing, Sister!
Unread 04-29-2003, 04:33 AM

I am so very, very glad that this second chemotherapy treatment is so much more bearable than the first. I don't think you have written too much at all, either in this post or in the previous one about the much harsher chemotherapy experience. I'm sure that if I have to undergo chemotherapy in the future, these honest personal accounts will help me more than anything, as I am a person who likes to "know". Thank-you for sharing this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2003, 06:00 AM
So glad the second was better...

I can't tell you how often I prayed for you or thought of you...was raking the lawn yesterday and just concentrating on you! Thank you for all your advice and everything you write...I print your emails to save for when I start chemo...so glad to hear from you!
Unread 04-29-2003, 07:10 AM

I am glad that this one was more tolerable. I do pray that they only get easier.
Unread 04-29-2003, 11:48 AM
Happy Chemo 2 Was Much Better

I always say each chemo is different from the previous one. I'm happy for you that this one went much better.
Unread 04-29-2003, 02:39 PM

So glad this chem went better. May each one be tolerable. The time will pass and you will be over them.

Keep up the good work.

Ruth S
Unread 04-29-2003, 03:26 PM
I'm glad this went by much better...

Hopefully, it will continue to get better and better. The weather is also very nice to go walking, at least over here in TX it is.

's and ers to you.
Unread 04-29-2003, 03:59 PM
So glad to hear......

I think about you often and wondered how you were doing. Thank goodness the chemo is more tolerable for you.

I am praying for you.
Unread 04-29-2003, 04:12 PM

Great news about the better chemo experience. I LOVE that you posted you used marijuana to help your side effects. I think that it is crazy that those who need marijuana for medical reasons are harassed. Hopefully you had a nice appetite after that!! Jill Sue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register