URGENT!! MRI and fibroid tumor! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

URGENT!! MRI and fibroid tumor! URGENT!! MRI and fibroid tumor!

Unread 04-29-2003, 04:51 PM
URGENT!! MRI and fibroid tumor!

Help Sisters!

I am scheduled for an MRI soon, and I need to know if they can tell the difference between a benign fibroid tumor in the uterus and a cancerous tumor.

Thanks very much.

Tex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2003, 05:42 PM
I'd Call the MRI Place or Dr. and Ask

I don't know what MRI can and cant' pick up. The facility or your Dr. should be able to tell you. Sorry.
Unread 04-29-2003, 05:47 PM

I forgot to ask my doc today, which is why I'm here.
Anybody else know?
How about my friend the ultrasonographer? :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2003, 07:53 PM

Hi, Tex!

My mom is a retired RN who happens to be typing away on the computer right next to me. She says that no scan will definitively reveal whether something is benign or cancerous. Scans, whether done by CT or MRI, will show whether a mass is solid or filled with fluid. But unless something is biopsied, you can't really know whether it's benign or cancer.

That said, skilled doctors may have certain suspicions when looking at something. My doctor (an internist who I'd never met before I walked in and said, "uh, this is not the way my stomach should look") looked at my CT scan (and the tumor it revealed), and pretty much said "it looks like cancer." He then referred me to the gyn/onc team, who couldn't meet with me until the following week. The wait was agonizing.

I wish you a lot of luck with your tests and with your MRI. Have you been referred to a gynecological oncologist yet?

s!
Unread 04-29-2003, 10:33 PM

Tex:

Siren is right...you cannot, with any certainty, "diagnose" on imaging techniques alone. That being said, malignant lesions can "look" different from B9 masses. But mine looked malignant...and wasn't! It truly takes biopsy and pathology -- and, in rare cases, a second "look" by another pathologist.

I hope your MRI goes well! I do ask for earplugs every time...they're pretty noisy...

Good luck,

Audrey
Unread 04-30-2003, 12:03 PM

Hi,
I had a CT scan that seemed to be a very large fibroid tumor stemming from the left side of my uterus. The gyn i was referred to wanted me to see a gyn/onc because she felt there may be something not quite right. My gyn/onc is one of the best and he looked at the ct scan and said he didn't see anything that looked suspicious for cancer...but...he'd have to wait til he got in there to be sure. He and everyone else got a surprise. What everyone thought was probably a begnign fibroid turned out to really be a large solid ovarian cyst...and it was cancerous too!!!
This isn't to scare you...because usually a fibroid is a fibroid,but even if it is cancer, it most likely will be okay. A really good gyn/onc can clean up most of the cancerous cells and then some chemo added in for good measure should ensure a long survival.I have every faith in my Dr. and you should have that in yours. If you don't have cofidence in your Dr. then find one you can be confident in. And good luck..I'm sureit will be okay.
Unread 05-03-2003, 06:34 PM

My Gp referred me directly to an gyn/onc just because he thought she was the best at any type of Gyn "misfunction". She did a brief ultrasound and pelvic and asked if I was hoping for future pregnancies. (we have been "unfertile" for 12+ years) When she knew we were not planning on any pregnancies she bluntly stated "that thing need to come out of there!" I asked her if she could tell if the fibroids, pollyps, etc were possibly cancerous she said, "I can not tell for sure, probably not, but you are still better to have it removed or you will be back here in 5 years with a more dangerous situation". "we can remove it all now because it is not functioning properly and remove all doubt that cancer is around the corner"
Two years ago she did the same exam and said I had fibroids and that if she were me she would put up with the pain and bleeding (not nearly as substantial as it is now) Bottom line is that seasoned Doctors should be able to tell you when the situation needs "intervention". I am still awaiting my June12th surgery and do have some worrys about what they will find, but at least they will be in a postion to remove what they can.
I am not sure if any of this if helpful, but I hope your worrys will be alived some. Most fibroids are benign, many here can attest to that. The rest can most often be dealt with.
Blessings to you on this journey.
KK

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register