Hiya sisters:), Do radiology techs do this normally? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hiya sisters:), Do radiology techs do this normally? Hiya sisters:), Do radiology techs do this normally?

Unread 04-29-2003, 05:12 PM
Hiya sisters:), Do radiology techs do this normally?

Hope all is going well with you all. I am 8 months post from a TVH for cervical adenocarcinoma, and exactly 1 week to the day after the surgery, I had to go to the ER because of severe pain on my right side where the ovary is. (yeah, I still have em') Come to find out that it was a 2cm cyst and would go away on it's own within 1 or two cycles. Well fast forward to 4 months post and my first post op pap/pelvic exam. I was still having discomfort on that same side, but it was basicaly not noticeable unless I thought about it, and was not very often either. Pap came back normal. Doc (not my regular oncologist) said my pain was probably from the granulation that she found and treated that day or it could be scar tissue, but she felt no abnormalities during the exam. Okay, whatever. Well fast forward another 3 months to the end of march. Time to get to scooching again. I told this doc (still not the regular doc and yes a different one than before) about the pain I occasionally was having only that it was happening a little more frequently and I was starting to get a return of the swelling in my tummy along with feeling full alot of the time. Well he went to talk to my regular doc for a few minutes and then returned to tell me that he had felt something at the top of the vagina and wanted to order a pelvic/transvaginal ultrasound to see if there was a mass there or if it was just scar tissue he was feeling. Well I went for the ultrasound today, and during the test, the tech asked me if I was having pain on the right or left side, I told him it was the right. He finished the exam and told me not to get up yet because he wanted to show the images to the radiology doc first to make sure he didn't need any more. He was gone for a good 20 minutes and then came in and said I could go and that the report would get to my doctor in 2 days. What I want to know from you all is whether this is normal practice to show the inmages to the radiology doc before letting someone leave?? I've had at least 3 of these ultrasounds that I remember, and was never asked to wait for the doc to look at it before I go. Is this a new thing? Should I be concerned? The pain is getting a little more aggressive and is a daily thing now for at least the past couple of weeks. It gets to feeling like there is something "stuck" up in there if you know what I mean. It radiates into my low back and into my hip as well. Probably won't hear anyhting until monday. Any thoughts?? scar tissue doesn't feel a little uncomfortable on one instant, and then start aching everyday or does it??? Your opinions please?? Thanks in advance

Stef
TVH for adenocarcinoma in situ of cervix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2003, 05:46 PM
I've Had This Happen

On my last CT scan, they had to re-take one section because the radiologist doing a quick look wasn't satisfied. I nearly died--well, the CT showed no evidence of cancer! I've had this occur before at other times. The radiologist takes a quick look and wants something redone to include more area or to get a better look at a certain area. This isn't panic time. Ellen
Unread 04-29-2003, 06:49 PM
During breast ultrasound

Once during an ultrasound on my breast, US tech had radiologist M.D. come into room to view US screen with him and confer. I would guess it's not necessarily uncommon.

Mary D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2003, 07:22 PM

I've had a couple of CT scans, and after the first one, the radiology tech (who was just so sweet) spent a lot of time conferring with the radiology doctor. When he finally came back in, he didn't look happy, and he told me to wait outside.

When he finally came out to tell me to go back to see my doctor, I was able to get him to tell me that they'd found a lot of ascites (fluid). He looked so sad about it, and he held my hand when he told me. But I didn't know what it meant. At that point, we just had to start doing tests. The tumors weren't discovered until I did a barium-assisted CT scan the following week.

Don't worry about anything until you meet with your doctor. Sometimes they just need to check to see that they got a readable scan so they don't get into trouble.

I hope your pain is nothing. :-)
Unread 04-29-2003, 09:59 PM
I think it's normal....

At least all the CT scans I had, they had to confer with the doc before letting me leave, and let me tell you, seems like I've had ALOT of scans.

I don't think it is anything to worry about, I think they just want to make sure the scan is clear so they don't have to reschedule you again and have you go through it again.

's and ers to you..
Unread 04-29-2003, 10:50 PM

Stef:

Some facilities and radiologists require a "second look" before a patient is allowed to leave. Sometimes, I don't always know exactly what a doctor wants, or an image is ambiguous, and I will go to one of the reading physicians and ask if they want different views. And to wait 20 minutes is not a surprise...the films take some time to process (5 - 10 minutes), then you have to wait to get the doc's attention (they could be in the middle of reading studies, on the phone, or not in the department at the moment).

I would not read too much into this delay. I can understand all too well the worry, especially given the subtlety of the original symptoms, etc. And, if they said your doctor would have the report within two days, well, that's when you call -- maybe Friday morning?

Also, you may well be sore thanks to the transvaginal ultrasound, especially given that you've been treated for granulation tissue. Those probes are NOT (ouch!) comfortable!

Good luck, and best wishes to you. I would not be panicking about the sonographer's actions -- I do that fairly often, even after 25 years of scanning. And results can be quite ambiguous in someone who has had a hyst and who may have adhesions. But call, either Thursday P.m. or Friday...if the office says that they don't yet have the report, ask them to request the "wet reading" which is a preliminary...at least to get you through the weekend.

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register