To leave or not to leave (cervix) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To leave or not to leave (cervix) To leave or not to leave (cervix)

Unread 05-01-2003, 06:39 PM
To leave or not to leave (cervix)

New to this site. Looking for feedback. I am scheduled for LSH on May 20th. Trying to decide whether to leave my cervix gyno's first choice or to have it taken out.

After years of heavy bleeding, enemia, etc. I just want to have IT gone. My understanding is that there will still be bleeding if my cervix remain, however, not much. But I've been reading about the benefits of leaving the cervix in tact.

Would appreciate any info/feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2003, 06:59 PM
I am leaving

I had the same ? to my Dr. and also read alot - and thought to leave it. But meeting with my Dr. we decided to take it out. I am getting everything else taken. I will never have to worry about cervical cancer.

I wish you a lots of luck - I am going in 5/8
Unread 05-01-2003, 07:44 PM

I had an LSH March 13. I had requested to keep my cervix and with this surgery it's fairly easy. I researched my family and found no cancers of any kind either maternally or paternally. If the cervix is cleaned thorougly of all uterine material you probably won't have mini periods. I'm 6 weeks out and have experienced no spotting at all.

Honestly though many women have had their's removed and state that there isn't any difference with sex, etc. I guess if you have any reason to be concerned about cervical cancer you could get rid of it. Since the PAP test was brought into the medical world it is fairly easy to detect and treat. Not the huge problem it used to be before the 50s.

Good luck on your LSH. I am sooooooo pleased with the results and the speedy recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2003, 07:52 PM

Dear Janine,

I had my cervix removed after discussion with my GYN. She felt it would be easier to remove all of my endometriosis if the cervix was removed, and was also concerned that I might have bleeding problems later if I kept it. My recovery has been relatively easy, and sex still feels the same for me (and for my husband) as it did before my surgery.

A friend of mine did keep her cervix when she had a hysterectomy for bleeding fibroids, and is happy with her decision as well. Which choice is right for you probably depends on exactly what (and where) the problem is. You may want to ask your GYN for more information while weighing the pros and cons.

Best wishes,
Juliepede
Unread 05-01-2003, 08:09 PM

Tough decision. It's a personal one too. I wanted my cervix out because I was a big bleeder and was keeping my ovaries. I never want anything that resembles a period ever again. I've had enough bleeding to last my entire lifetime. I still have discharge every day even without one. It's very light and I don't need a pad, but I just knew if I kept mine it would be trouble. Good luck with your decision and castle visit.
Sex is still awesome without it too. Just in case that is some of your concern with the cervix decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register