It's Official! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

It's Official! It's Official!

Unread 05-02-2003, 07:07 PM
It's Official!

Hi y'all!

Just wanted to check back in and let you know what the Gyn said today, but wasn't sure where to post this, so here goes:

First of all, the "thing" on my cervix that had me so worried, he says is probably *not* cancer. He said the Radiologist saw it on the ultrasound, so as a CYA sort of thing, he had to mention it; however, the Gyn said he thinks the Radiologist was just making an observation, rather than a diagnosis. "But, of course, we'll check it out," he also added.

So, it's official! I'm a Lady-In-Waiting! My surgery is scheduled for 6/3/03!! I'm really glad it's all finally going to be over -- no more constant BLEEDING!

I'm scheduled for a TAH/BSO (couldn't do it vaginally due to 2 past c-secs and a previous gall bladder op which probably means adhesions), also, I found out today that my uterus is the size of a 14 wk pregnancy -- is that normal in your cases, too?? That blew me away! Was never concerned with "swelly belly" as I'm about 50lbs overweight anyway, so who'd notice, but didn't realize my uterus was so enlarged, too! And to think, all this time I just thought I was fat!! Who knew!?!? LOL

I did mention to the doc that I'm scared of pain, really scared. He said, "Your pain is my pain," which I thought was pretty cool, even though he won't feel a thing! LOL He told me he'd give me a PCA pump post-op, so that makes me feel better. I'd much rather that than having to depend on the nurses, and I'm a nurse!!! LOL (Although, in my own defense, I *never* make a patient wait for pain meds!)

Anyway, I'm already scheduled for my pre-op labs, etc on the 30th of this month, and don't have to see my Gyn again unless I want to or have any questions. My choice.

Thanks for the feedback in advance!
*hugs*
Nanette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2003, 08:38 PM
It's Official!

(((((Nanette)))))

Yeah!! I'm glad you finally got a date for your surgery.

Try keeping a pad of paper and pen with you, so when you think of a question you can write it down.

Best of luck to you!! Keep posting and stop by the One on One chat support too!

Love & Hugs
Unread 05-03-2003, 04:54 AM
Chat??

Chat?? What chat??? Where??? You guys chat?!?!? When?? Where??? I wanna chat!!!! When?? Where?? What Chat??? Cool!!!! Wow! You guys chat?!?! I was born to chat!!!!
Nanette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2003, 07:39 AM
It's Official!

FIRST, I'm glad to hear about the not cancer statement.
Second, look at the top of this page in the small lettering and click *chat*. I just checked it out and it's experiencing technical difficulties right now, but that's where you'd start. It was a big help to me prior to my surgery. In fact right up til I left for the castle I stopped in for a quick chat and encouragement. Good luck.
blessings,
TC
Unread 05-03-2003, 10:42 AM
It's Official!

(((((Nanette)))))

So I take it you like chatting eh? LOL

Hope to chat will you!!!!

Love & Hugs
Unread 05-03-2003, 10:53 AM
More Questions

Hi Nanette,
I'm glad to hear your great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You also peaked my curiosity. I know people mention throughout these posts that they have PCA pumps for pain. Do you know exactly what a PCA pump is? I understand it allows the patient to push a button to release a dose of pain medication whenever needed. I'm so afraid of pain, I think I would just keep pushing.

But................ does the type of pain medication vary? How does it prevent a patient from possibly over medicating?

One other thing, people have mentioned leg massagers that are used after surgery instead of support hose. Do you know what these are called?

Thanks in advance. Just hoping to get another nurse's opinion.
Unread 05-03-2003, 11:02 AM
It's Official!

(((((Casey)))))

I don't know what the leg massagers were called, but boy did they feel good!

Best of luck to you!!

Love & Hugs
Unread 05-03-2003, 11:38 AM
It's Official!

Thanks for that info on PCA pumps - I have been quite worried that if I keep pushing the button I will overdose!!

Mel
Unread 05-03-2003, 07:43 PM
More about PCA Pumps

Bev, (and whoever else is interested)
It is virtually impossible to overdose on PCA pumps because they are programmed to give you up to a certain amount and then they lock you out.

For instance, say the most they program the pump to allow you to have is 100 mg of a drug. Each time you press the button, you may get only 20mgof the drug (depends on how they program the pump -- always as per Dr. orders). So you press the button and get 20mgs. If you still feel pain you press again and get 20 more milligrams. You can keep pressing untill the full 100mg is delivered, then the pump shuts off and doesn't allow you to have any more drug until a preprogrammed amount of time has passed by (again, according to pre-programmed orders from the doctor).

HOWEVER, and this is important, the pump continues to monitor how many times you press the button. So, if you are still in pain, and keep pressing the button, the Dr. will know and adjust his orders to allow you more med if needed (which the nurse will re-program into the pump when it's reloaded) or change to a different/better/stronger drug, so that your pain is much better managed.

The fact is that when a patient controlls their own analgesia, they tend to take LESS than if the nurse is giving injections of say 100mg of a drug at a time... maybe you only need 50mg at a time, but the lady next to you needs 75mg, if you control it with the PCA, you get the exact dose you need, if they automatically bring you 100mg injections you're getting twice as much as needed; conversly, if the doc only ordered 50 mg injections, you'd get enough, but the lady next to you would be in misery! See how cool these things are?!?

There are several different drugs that can be used such as morphine, demerol, dilaudid, etc. What is used depends on a given physician's preference.

Once they realize that you're not pressing the button much at all, they'll dissconnect the pump and give you pills instead.

Hope this helps, I'm always willing to answer any questions anyone might have. If I don't know an answer to a question, I'll look it up! )

Take care,
*hugs*
Nanette
Unread 05-03-2003, 07:55 PM
More about Pain meds

Many, many studies have been done on the effect of narcotic pain meds and addiction. It is well believed amongst medical professionals that if you are in pain and receiving narcotic pain meds the chances of getting addicted are very, very low. Why? Because you are not using that drug to get "high" you're using it to control pain.

On the other hand, if you are not in pain and take those meds you will risk addiction because your brain knows that all the effect of the drug is going towards making you "feel good" not for pain control.

I hope I typed this so that it makes sense, I just got off from a 12 hr. shift at work and my brain is jellotized just now.
*hugs*
Nanette

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register