Blood Clot in Leg | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Blood Clot in Leg Blood Clot in Leg

Unread 05-03-2003, 07:46 AM
Blood Clot in Leg

I'm 3 weeks post op, and my right leg pain continues to keep me up all night, every night. My leg pain supposedly originates from the way I was positioned during surgery -- that's what the urogyno suggested -- but I have heard of the possibility of blood clots causing problems.
My question is -- how do you know if you have a blood clot?
I know my mom had phlebitis (a blood clot in her leg) on her honeymoon, plus I was diagnosed a few years ago with lupus anticoagulant syndrome (blood clots created as antibodies) as the reason for the three miscarriages I had.
If anyone knows the symptoms of a blood clot, I'd be most appreciative to hear them. It's probably not the problem, but it would be nice to rule it out for peace of mind. Thanks, Aunt May
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2003, 07:57 AM
Blood Clot in Leg

(((((((((((((((((((((((((Auntmay)))))))))))))),

I am sorry your leg is still painful. here is a link to a site that

explains all about deep vein clots , the symptoms etc.

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/m...hrombosis.html

Hope this helps,
Pamcat
Unread 05-03-2003, 08:11 AM
Blood Clot in Leg

Dear Pam: Thanks so much for the web site about blood clots. Since I don't have any redness in the area or any of the other symptoms, I feel like I can rule out the possibility. Thanks for the peace of mind, Aunt May
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2003, 09:33 AM
Blood Clot in Leg

Quote:
Originally posted by auntmay
Since I don't have any redness in the area or any of the other symptoms, I feel like I can rule out the possibility.
Please don't rule out the possibility of a clot. I had a blood clot in my leg (Deep Vein Thrombosis) and was admitted to the hospital 3 weeks after my hysterectomy surgery. My *only* symptom was pain in the inner thigh. The pain became unbearable, so I went to the ER and after an ultrasound of my leg it was determined that I had a blood clot.

Some other signs are redness, area feels hot to touch, and swelling. I had none of these, and that's why I hesitated to go to the ER.

Please call your doctor or visit your ER. The only way to be sure is with a leg ultrasound. Don't hesitate if you think there is any possibility that this may be a clot. Don't rub the area because if it is a clot, you don't want any part of it to travel to the lungs.
Unread 05-03-2003, 10:55 AM
I had this also....

I had leg pain and called the DR just to be on the safe side. I had the ultrasound, which came out negative. It is always better to be safe than sorry!
Unread 05-03-2003, 12:53 PM
Blood Clot in Leg

Dear Catherine and Delyn: Thanks for the warning about the blood clot. The doc put me on a second dose of Bextra anti-inflammatory when I called him last week about my leg pain (which has been in existence for 3 weeks since day one after surgery). I was using a heating/massage pad which provided temporary relief, but I think I won't use it now after the warning. I'll still take short walks around the block because they do seem to help tremendously.
I see the doc on Tuesday. I will mention the possibility of a blood clot to him then, plus I'll call him sooner if I see any red flags.
Bless you for your concern, and best wishes to you, Aunt May
Unread 05-03-2003, 02:25 PM
Blood Clot in Leg

I'm adding a second note because I wanted to say that your warnings prompted me to call my urogyno today (Saturday). He returned my call and said that, given my particular symptoms, he's not going to send me to ER for an ultrasound but feels that it will be okay to wait to see me during my visit Tuesday.
I told him that even though I'm on an anti-inflammatory, my leg is still waking me up at night. He didn't seem surprised that the meds aren't entirely taking away the pain like they first did, and he said I'll probably have to go for some physical therapy sometime for this leg. He asked if the leg bugs me more during the day or at night, and I admitted that when I'm lying down is when it starts to hurt. He said short walks are good, especially since they do seem to ease the pain.
Thanks again for your advice, for it got me to call the urogyno and ask what I needed to ask. Unanswered questions are hard to deal with, especially when you're thinking about them at 2 or 3 in the morning! Aunt May
Unread 05-03-2003, 02:33 PM
Blood Clot in Leg

I'm glad you called the dr. If the pain should get worse or if you experience it when you walk or when the leg is elevated, be sure to call again. It's frustrating when these problems occur during the night or on weekends when it's more difficult to reach our doctors. Thankfully you've been reassured by him that it's not serious enough to warrant a trip to the ER.

Best wishes, and I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 05-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Blood Clot in Leg

Dear Catherine: Thanks again for your concern. You're an angel. Aunt May

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register