Rectocele? Symptoms? or Asymptomatic | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rectocele?  Symptoms? or Asymptomatic Rectocele? Symptoms? or Asymptomatic

Unread 05-03-2003, 05:16 PM
Rectocele? Symptoms? or Asymptomatic

I am wondering if there is anyone else that has any other symptoms with their rectocele other than the usual trouble with bowel movement problems? My new uro-gyn says there are no other symptoms, that a rectocele is strickly asymptomatic. I just wanted some feedback on this, because it sure seems like there are other things going on! I am in the process of doing the battery of tests to check on my bladder to see if there is problems there also. Any feedback I could get on this would be greatly appreciated. B41
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2003, 05:22 PM

I'm sure you'll hear a range of reactions on this one, but for me your urogyn was right on the button. The only symptom of the rectocele was the trouble having bm's (having to 'splint')... no pain. I would never have known except that the uterine prolapse became more than obvious
s,
-Linda
Unread 05-03-2003, 08:02 PM

I have a rectocele - the only symptom I have is difficulty with bowle motions, have to 'splint'. However, this is not all the time. I had to go to a colo rectal surgeon to check out some rectal bleeding. I' having a colonoscopy on Thursday, while he's doing that he said that he can put bads around the rectocele which should improve it no end.

Good luck with your investigations.

Diana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2003, 08:07 PM

We are all different, ideed!!! In my case, the only "real" symptom of the rectocele was the bulge at the entrance of the vagina. However, in retrospect, I remember that, about two weeks earlier, I'd felt a searing pain in the lower abs during sex and the pain lasted throughout the next day.

At the time, I was having lots and lots of problems thanks to the huge fibroid I was "carrying" and put it down to either a wrong movement during sex or the fibroid acting up again. When the pain went away, I forgot all about it.

Since the rectocele was happening at the same time as the fibroid issues, it was hard to pinpoint what was caused by the rectocele and what was caused by the fibroids. However, it seems that the lower back pains, poor posture and diarrhea/constipation cycle were in relation to the rectocele.

Good luck with your quest for answers.
Unread 05-04-2003, 09:58 PM
...my symptoms...

The first thing I noticed was the feeling that after a bm, I wasn't "empty"...I didn't "splint" to empty all the way, I'd just wait till the next bm... all day long I felt like there was "something in there"
I also noticed that during sex I had pressure in the rectal area...changing positions lessoned this, but it was there!
...lastly, right before my surgery I had a lot of lower back pain, which my dr. said is a common symptom as well.
Just my
Unread 05-05-2003, 08:58 AM

Thanks for all your replys. I seem to have alot of lower back pain and days where it seems as if my colon is just down right complaining. I also think my whole digestive system is being affected by the rectocele. I first noticed my rectocele the 1st of March and I am now getting to all of the testing on my bladder. The uro-gyn I am seeing is very hard to get into, but is suppose to be the best in this area. He laughed the first time I saw him and said "Oh no, rectoceles are asymptomatic." I have never had these symptoms before my hyst. or the rectocele. So, I guess I will go back to the castle this summer for rectocele and probably bladder surgery. So much fun to have our bodies falling apart! B41
Unread 05-05-2003, 12:50 PM
I'm getting so educated . . .

Okay, here's another one that I don't know about. I keep seeing posts on rectocele surgeries. What is that?
Unread 05-05-2003, 01:13 PM
hi Anita

a rectocele is usually involved with a uterine prolapse. This occurs when there is a tear/weakening of the pelvic floor muscles...when the uterus prolapses, it often drags down the bladder (cystocele) and/or the rectum (rectocele) at the same time. Sometimes the bladder and/or rectum actually bulges into the vaginal wall. With a rectocele you have difficulty completely "emtying" the bowel! Sounds like fun, huh?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register