Did your doctor do this? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did your doctor do this? Did your doctor do this?

Unread 12-28-2000, 07:33 PM
Did your doctor do this?

I had a LAVH with rectocele repair and bladder lift. For some STUPID reason, my doctor put in an extra stitch on my opening to the vagina. He did not explain the reason. This has caused extreme discomfort for me getting into the sex game again. Why would he have done this? Is this a guy thing? Make it tighter? Why? I hate it. It has been ten weeks since my surgery, and for the last three weeks since OK from doc for sex, I am still having pain with sex. There are also interior stitches that haven't healed yet, too, but my biggest discomfort is the one extra stitch that wasn't necessary!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2000, 07:36 PM
Did your doctor do this?

Are you talking about the stich in your perenium? (between vaginal and anal openings) cause if you are my doctor did one of those too as part of the rectocelle repair.

Pamela aka erratika
Unread 12-28-2000, 07:49 PM
Yes that would be it ...

erratika,

Yes, that is where I'm talking about. What did you doctor tell you about that extra stitch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2000, 08:19 PM
Did your doctor do this?

Yup, I think this is a man thing. They used to call this a "Husband's knot" and routinely did it when stitching a woman up after birth of a child. It is NOT for you, it is for the pleasure of your husband. It causes a knot your husband can feel. It increased his pleasure. Talk to your doctor again about why he did it, and see if he can undo it if you are uncomfortable with it.
Unread 12-28-2000, 09:39 PM
Did your doctor do this?

Wow Sisters,
I thought I was up on stuff, having been a free spirit of the 60's and all but I swear I never heard of this one! It really burns me up to think that a doctor would take it upon himself to put one extra poke through me that wasn't in my best interest and wasn't discussed prior to surgery. Is there any legal option here? Sounds to me like the doc has put this patient into undo stress and caused an added risk of a site for infection not to mention pain and now an additional procedure to undo the damage. Boy, wouldn't you just love to have a copy of your medical record to see the notes that were put in to explain how the procedure was done? You'd need some medical background to understand most of it. There isn't ANYTHING that makes me storming mad more that someone trying to put one over on me. I guess I hadn't had that done by a doc or I'd know. My son was delivered by C-section so I never had any stitches placed in that area. At this point after the TAH/BSO I wouldn't know yet what's going on down there! I'm still finding that I have a lot of numb spots below the incision line. Between the bandages and bindings I'm doing good to even be able to take care of a few personal hygene needs like using the toilet tissue to clean myself! For all I know I may be singing the same tune in six weeks when the green light is given. But you can bet your pubic hair that I will talk to my doc at the post op check up next week. Honestly, the reason I feel I have no need to worry about this one was that my gyn is a female. She refused to have me put into stirupps for a vaginal hyst because she was concerned about an injury that I had years ago that damaged my right hip and leg. She didn't want the leg put at that angle for such a long length of time. So if she took that much care for my comfort I doubt she would have allowed anyone but herself to do any stitching in the area you mentioned. Boy, that still makes me so mad to think that in this day something like that could be done to a woman while she's knocked out being cared for by her doctor. Sisters, there has to be something that can be done here, either get the word out to pre-ops or find out the legal side of this. Anyone out there with any connections or ideas?
[email protected]
Unread 12-28-2000, 09:58 PM
Whoa!

I was told by my doctor before surgery that he usually puts an extra stitch there when he does rectocole repair. I was just so busy with other questions, that I didn't question why. I've been seeing my doctor for fourteen years - he has always been good to me. I plan to let him know my next visit that I am not at all happy about this stitch, and ask the reason he thought it was medically necessary. I just thought I would ask here if anyone has experienced this.

I've been told by others that women actually elect to have this type of surgery done! I can think of other ways to spend my money.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts!
Unread 12-29-2000, 12:37 AM
I feel angry too

I thought that the stitch was part of the repair but discovered in my one attempt at sex with DH that it was too painful to even be penetrated. (Sorry if I am too discriptive ladies) I thought it must be that I had repair to both the front and back of my vagina that made the opening area feel so much smaller. I see that I may have been too trusting with my doctor. I have never had a problem accomodating my DH but have been terrified to try making love again because it hurt too much the first time. Worse than any pain I had pre-surgery sexually. I feel so angry right now that I am unable to stop these tears pouring down my face. I had hoped this surgery would help us back to a normal healthy sex-life. I guess I am out of luck once again

Thanks for broaching the subject Margretann. At least I finally have a clue!

Pamela aka erratika
Unread 12-29-2000, 12:55 AM
Did your doctor do this?

Hi Ladies,

I'm so sorry for those of you that are having pain during sex. I just had to ask...are you all using a good lubricant like Astroglide? It really can make a difference. Please don't give up...keep trying and you will gradually learn to relax, which will also help a great deal.

Of course, I recommend you talking to your Drs. about the problem and seeing what can be done to help. I pray that you all will see improvement very soon!

My very best to you...

Linda
Unread 12-29-2000, 10:02 AM
seems my mom said something about this

Mom had her hyst done 9 yrs ago.she had a tilted uterus and also required bladder reconstruction.She said the DR bragged to my dad that it would be better than brand new.I could somewhat understand in her case as she had all four of us kids vaginally and the last of us was 10lbs and she was 40yrs old.But I thought it was just a Good ole Boy kind of statement.Now I wonder...I beleive the statement he made was he'd "tied it up in a pretty pink bow".Lass
Unread 12-29-2000, 02:35 PM
Ugh!

Lass, that makes me so sick. This is a man's world, isn't it?

Well, as you might be able to see, I really don't jump into having sex because of the extreme discomfort. It makes my husband angry - mainly because of all the problems before the hysterectomy when I didn't want sex, and now I don't want sex, either. I can understand his frustration, but I also feel that this is MY body. Just because he wants sex doesn't mean I have to. I have issues with sex, anyway - molested by two different men as a child. One was my grandfather. I hate to bring that up, but it's there always in my mind. I don't think therapy is the answer. I just think men are *****! There's more to life than sex.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register