TAH - My Castle Story | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH - My Castle Story TAH - My Castle Story

Unread 07-24-2002, 06:10 PM
Pinkie's Castle Story

Olah Everyone!

I'm home!!!! I AM SOOOOO HAPPY TO BE HOME!!!! Hope I NEVER need to see the likes of a hospital for a long, long time!!!

Monday, 07/15/02, DH and I got to the hospital 5:30AM. Three of us were having surgery at 7:30AM. Two of us were having hysts (she was having a vaginal hyst and was my roommate for two days who I also befriended).

As I was prepared (gown, 2 pills - one to prevent infections and the other for anti-nausea, stockings and needle hook-up), met "A" lady and was kissed by mom and DH (my Dad missed kissing me good-bye because he had to park the car) and then rolled into the OR . Saw other surgical staff who introduced themselves and then I was out like a light.

Surgery was suppose to last 1 1/2 hours, but lasted 45 minutes more than what was expected due to my cervix - didn't want to come out! Imagine that!!! Cervix caused me to lose more blood than usual (usual 300, me 500). I heard if I lost anymore, I would have had a blood transfusion. While in surgery, a patch was placed behind my left ear to prevent nausea – It worked!

Woke up in recovery, which was uneventful. EXCEPT, I was NOT blessed like others to say that my Restless Leg Syndrome on the right side of abdomen could not be felt through the epidural - It could!!! My Mom was surprised to find this out (RLS was passed onto me by my Mom).

The worst pain was Monday night. What a nightmare!!! The second time they gave me something for the itching (under my breasts) through the hip overrode the pain meds!!! I didn't get to sleep till 5AM. PCA pump was REALLY then used - six times before I felt any relief (NOTE: Other than this situation, I just occassionally used it). Before I forget, around 11:00PM Monday evening, they had me sit at the corner of my bed for a short period – I really don’t know why, circulation?

Tuesday morning 07/16/02, epidural came out after sponge bath and bedding changed. Later that night I believe, catheter and liquids feeder were removed. Started going to the bathroom on my own and walking Tuesday night.

Wednesday 07/17/02 - Took a shower while sitting on a chair - I really didn't need it. I concentrated on walking a lot around the nurses’ quarters and the floor. Nurse started me on colace stool softer that evening. I’ve been on stool softeners since then – They sure help!

Thursday 07/18/02 at 8:10AM, GYN checked my out, removed staples and released me. Notified DH ASAP. Nurse put steri strips on. I was home by 11:00AM. I showered when I got home and then took a loooong nap.

Saturday 07/20/02 - I was awakened early in the morning with my first BM! Break out the champagne!!!! Pinkie’s house was not a happy house till first BM occurred. Fellow Princesses, I know you know what I mean!!!!

NOTE: While they were initially giving me two percocets, I was hallucinating. I’d look at a certain object and everything surrounding it would be melting. Thankfully, that stopped once I was given only one at a time. Also, my stuffed animals, Suni2 (a kitty puppet pronounced "Sunny" who looks like Morris the cat, and looks like our real cat, Suni. BTW, Suni2 also meows - 3 times) and the racoon, were a great support and still are!

Smilie Card: I did what I said I would. Happy face card placed on abdomen. Written inside, "To GYN and Surgical Staff. Take what you need (uterus and cervix), but leave pleasure palace in tact for Dear Hubbie for after recovery. Pinkie" To date, I haven't heard any comment from GYN. I'll ask about it during my two week post-op check.

Food: Liquid diet till Wednesday night, then I had real food. LIW, they have to wait till they heard gas bubbles in abdomen before you get the solid food.
Attire: Arrived in hospital with a loose black summer dress, so that I could depart comfortably.
Anesthesia: Epidural
Current meds: Percocet and IB Propin.

Even now, DH can’t believe how calm I was. Thank you Almighty God and Hyster Sisters!!!

This is my story.
Pinkie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register