my hysterectomy story | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

my hysterectomy story my hysterectomy story

Unread 10-29-2009, 08:16 AM
my hysterectomy story

OK, I am 3 weeks post op today (TAH/BSO on Oct 8) and just now able to post. The surgery went well. I opted for an epidural with conscious sedation instead of general anasthesia. It worked out really well. I enjoyed having the epidural afterwards too for pain control! They took the epidural out 24 hours later. Able to pee on first try after removing cathader (sp?). Went home after 48 hours. Once I got home things were going ok. My daughter (5 yrs) had been looking tired and looked like she was losing weight....thought it was a growth spurt. 6 days post op my daughter came home from school and started vomiting. Thought, ok, she's been fighting this off and it finally won. Tummy bug. Then she couldn't keep anything down and had labored breathing and blue lips. DH took her to ER....they thought maybe pneumonia, but she had no fever. Did blood test and her blood sugar was 675! Turns out she is type 1 diabetic and had Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA). She was transferred to children's hospital and put in ICU. All the while, I was stuck at home with my son (8yrs) and not able to go anywhere and do anything! ARGHH!!! My mother came over to help me with my son and I had to travel back and forth 30 miles each way for 6 days while my daughter was in the hospital. VERY HARD and totally overdid it! I was EXTREMELY sore and tired! But, what's a girl to do? My daughter was in the hospital! Since then, things are starting to slow down. staring to feel better, then overdoe it and get sore. Husband thinks I'm "fine" because I'm walking ok and thinks I'm crazy when I ask him to lift something for me or that I can't vacuum yet. He asks what's wrong and I tell him I'm exhausted he looks at me like, whatever, you're fine! Want to kick him in knee caps sometimes! So, other than that, things are good, daughter is doing better....just trying to get insulin doses down, but that will take a lot of time. I think I'm on the mend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Re: my hysterectomy story

Oh holy cow!

Kick the hubby, sometimes they need it...LOL! I hope both you and your daughter get to feeling better and on the mend. Sounds like you have had a horrible time. Good luck and sending hugs your way!!!
Unread 10-29-2009, 09:27 AM
Re: my hysterectomy story

You are a rockstar! I don't know how you are doing this, and I wish your hubby knew what you are doing with what you have to work with. I had a TAH/BSO on Sept. 29 (w/ general anesthesia & vertical incision) and I just felt well enough to drive my car (less than a mile) to the mall to have dinner with a friend Monday night. We ate & walked around the mall & I was wiped out on Tuesday.

On top of that, you are dealing with the stress of having a sick little girl;it has to be so difficult. She is lucky to have such a strong mom, but I hope your hubby realizes he is going to have to go above and beyond for both of you so you can stay strong. I'm so glad your mother was able to help. Bless her!

I will definitely keep all of you in my prayers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register