Surgery jitters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery jitters Surgery jitters

Unread 03-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Surgery jitters

Hi Ladies,
I am very new to this site. I am having my TAH/LSO on April 27,2010. I am very much ready for this, as I have suffered with severe endometriosis for so long. I have had two open surgeries before. I am hearing that the pain is sooo intense with a hysterectomy though. I am very nervous about this part. How can I start easing my fears?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Re: Surgery jitters

I had a TAH with one ovary removed almost eight weeks ago and I had jitters before my surgery too.

What actually helped was my doctor gave me pre-op instructions of drinking magnesium citrate and having light meals two days before. The suggested it to me because of the fact that my intestines would be manipulated and it would help me in Post.

When you go to the hospital be sure to ask any questions you might have. I had to ask my questions in the prep room since I was completely out once I left the room.
I was in the hospital for 3 days; they did not let me leave until I had at a real meal and passed gas. They will get you out of bed maybe the next day so you can move around and to get your gases working. Speaking of the gasy feeling you can have it almost anywhere in your body; my pains were in my shoulders along with abdomen.

The first two weeks were kind of rough but I mostly relaxed on the couch or in bed. When getting in and out of bed; make sure you sit then slowly go down on your side then do the opposite to get up. I was also given one flight of stairs restrictions.

Weeks 3 and 4 I had 2 flights of stair restrictions.
My incision was closed with staples and I went to get the staples removed at my 2 week post op visit.

I am not back to normal activities.

I do not regret having this surgery and I wish I had done it sooner.

I hope this helps you. Be sure to come back to this site; we are here to help you.
Unread 03-14-2010, 11:27 PM

I had extensive surgery due to endo. It was covering my organs and had grown into my rectum. I had to have part of it removed and sewn back up . I had a TAH/BSO. There was a lot of pain, and I had a continuouis PCA pump for the first 3 days. Was in the hospital for about a week. Ask your MD about a PCA (personal controlled analgesia). You press a button when you want a "hit". Never need to wait for the nurse. Don't be scared! You will get enough oral pain meds too when you are sent home. Take them as directed and you will do well. Hugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2010, 01:51 AM

Thank you so much for your post. It is very reassuring. (My surgery is Thurs., 03/18). It means so much for experienced people like you who take the time share with others. I hope your recovery continually progresses so that you can move towards resuming your regular activities.
Unread 03-15-2010, 03:19 AM

I just had surgery friday. To me the surgery has been great. I have minimal pain and I have been off the PCA pump as of the next day. I didn't eat very well the first 2 days. Just yesterday I had solid real food. Your body will tell u what u r ready for and what to wait on. Hoping to go home today. Good luck. I will keep u in my prayers
Unread 03-15-2010, 04:21 AM

Hi all,

I had my op booked for 20th Aug but am in so much pain at the mo with my endometriosis, my doctor said today that I should bring the surgery forward. I'm now booked in for the 1st of April & am a bit nervous. I'm having keyhole surgery, but my doc says it depends on what happens as she thinks my endo may have stuck my right ovary down to my pelvic wall again & thats what is causing the pain. I'm going for my pre-op appt tomorrow.
Praying for all you ladies - I'm trusting that this is all going to be ok & llooking forward to a life after all of this & 30 years of endo & 8 operations!
xx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register