Retroverted uterus to boot! Can I keep cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Retroverted uterus to boot! Can I keep cervix? Retroverted uterus to boot! Can I keep cervix?

Unread 04-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Retroverted uterus to boot! Can I keep cervix?

I've been reading all about the great cervix debate, but I wonder( and I will have to ask doc on preop appt) if I even have a choice due to backwards displacement of my uterus.See it has been retroverted all my life therefore my cervix is actually displaced as well it kind of sits towards the top of my vagina. Every gyno I have ever seen always says something like wow I'm having to stand on my head here to get a look at your cervix!(Refering to displacement I assume) Can it be repositioned in there? Things for me to think about I guess. Have any of you had this problem? If so did you keep your cervix? I've never actually noticed if cervix aids in the big O or not I just feels good when it happens(blushing now, sorry to be frank) however I do have contractions of sorts when it happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2005, 11:23 AM

Hi There!

I didn't have a retroverted uterus, so I cannot offer any insight on that topic. Maybe some members who also had that condition will come along and share their experience.

In addition to the cervix discussions going on in the Message Board Forums, did you read this article, Keep Cervix? in our Pre-Op Hints?

It's my understanding that if you have a history of cervical dysplasia, removal of the cervix may be recommended. Of course, this is a topic you will need to discuss with your doctor, so that the best decision may be made in your case.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 04-03-2005, 11:52 AM

Mine is tipped forward - and always has been. Backwards, forwards, right, left - all are 'normal' -- we come all ways as women.

As for the cervix - is there a reason you can't keep it (recent history of dysplasia or cancer)? IMO, if you want to keep the cervix then differnt procedures may be waranted depending on it's location (i.e. you might not be an LSH or lap candidate) but you could keep it with an abdominal cut.

These are issues to discuss with your doc (and your desire or not to keep the cervix and/or ovaries). Mine didn't even suggest removing the ovaries and I made it clear that I wanted to keep the cervix and asked if there was 'a reason' I couldn't. Actually, the minute he said 'laparoscopic' - I looked at him and said "LSH?" When he said 'yes', I replied with an 'all right!!!!' My goal going into my meeting with him was LSH (preferably) and Lupron if necessary to make it happen. Unless he could give me a very good reason why not. I already 'knew' his background and philosophy on surgery.

It also helps that I have one of the best surgeons around who teaches the procedure to others docs - and I am allowing them to videotape the procedure and have other docs present. I don't mind being a teaching case if I can get the best and brightest, most well-trained, and advanced.

Now, not all docs are trained in all the new procedures - and their 'personal preferences' do cloud their judgement (keep or take) - so if you want to keep it and he can't give you a solid medical reason to take it - then get a second or even a third opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2005, 12:09 PM

I don't know about keeping the cervix, but I learned a bit about retroverted uterus, since I had one (until a week ago). In my biopsy in my family doc's office (I've been going there for 15 years, good relationship) he kept on saying how he had to 'flip' it over to get the long, thin tube into the cervix. It was good, comical uplift in an otherwise humorless procedure.

After reading on HS about prolapsed uterus, I began to worry I had that, but soon realized it was different. Here's a website that shows retroflex and retroverted uterus diagrams: http://www.dyspareunia.org/html/retroverted_uterus.htm

When I asked the oncologist about my lower back pain and whether it might abate some after my hyst (I had been doing physical therapy for bulging lumbar discs last fall), he said, "Well, let's do an experiment. We'll take it out and see!" Love these docs' sense of humor. Really.

Did you have lower back pain as well?

~your retroverted friend susie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register