Scheduled TLH Upcoming hysterectomy 12/13: Need to lower blood pressure! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 12/13: Need to lower blood pressure! Upcoming hysterectomy 12/13: Need to lower blood pressure!

Unread 12-02-2018, 11:41 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 12/13: Need to lower blood pressure!

I went to my pre-op on Friday and it appears I need to monitor my blood pressure and try to lower it a bit. I’ll be having surgery in 11 days. My last reading was 143/90, it’s been hovering around that. What can I do to get it to a somewhat decent level in a week and a half?
Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2018, 04:02 AM
Re: Need to lower blood pressure!

If your blood pressure was taken while you were in your surgeon's office, then you may have experienced "white coat hypertension," so monitoring it at home can prove useful; ask your pharmacist what type of monitoring device he would recommend. If you find that home monitoring shows a consistently high blood pressure, then you'll need medical intervention to lower it properly, so your next step would be to see your PCP, and show him the results of your home monitoring. In addition to what he prescribes, lowering your sodium intake to around 1,500 mg per day, and increasimg your intake of potassium and magnesium can help. Potassium superstars imclude bananas, sweet potatoes, citrus fruits, dried apricots, wild-caught salmon, and plain coconut water; magnesium superstars include dark chocolate, pumpkin seeds, leafy greens, quinoa, and almonds. A program of regular exercise that includes activities like walking and yoga can help to control stress, which can also help to lower your blood pressure. And last but not least, be sure to let your surgeon what's going on, because you may need to have your surgery postponed until you can get your blood pressure down to a safe level. Best wishes for getting your pressure down soon, and for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 12-03-2018, 08:14 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 12/13: Need to lower blood pressure!

Tiger has some good suggestions.

Did your doctor prescribe any medication to lower your blood pressure? Even if you're opposed to taking anything long term, taking it until after your surgery may help. That's what I did (my doctor's idea) when I was in a similar circumstance for a previous surgery with similar readings. We just wanted to make sure I didn't spike from nerves on the day of the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2018, 08:25 AM

are you taking your b/p at home? is it within normal range when you take it? if you aren't monitoring it, you can get an inexpensive kit on amazon or walmart. i have high b/p and have to take medication but you can possibly lower it by eating no processed foods (which have very high sodium levels). to follow that, my dr suggested shopping the perimeter of the store and stay out of the aisles with canned goods, prepackaged food, frozen meals/food. being overweight puts you at risk. yours is borderline high but you don't want to get closer to your surgery and have it be cancelled. you should probably call your family dr and see what he thinks you should do. good luck!
Unread 12-03-2018, 08:32 AM
Re: Need to lower blood pressure!

Thanks so much. Yes, the doctor sent me to see my PCP that same day, since she not any other PCP had availability for that day I was sent to the urgent care downstairs (I have Kaiser, all in one building). The doctor there suggested that I monitor as you said and if needed I might be prescribed something in the meantime. I’m trying to avoid medication.
Now because I’m so aware of my blood pressure every time I take it I get nervous and boom! There goes my heart rate. This morning I decided to take it fresh out of bed since I was as relaxed as I’ll get. I see the machine and my heart starts speeding. I get 151/91.....up from last night!
I’ve rearranged sooo much to make this happen, I can’t push it. I’ll take on your suggestions and update in a few days.
Thanks for the advice and for allowing me to vent
Unread 12-03-2018, 08:38 AM

Yes, to your questions. The biggest obstacle is that I’m out of town for work until 2 days before surgery. No kitchen in my hotel room, so I have to eat out everyday. I don’t even know how to gage the right foods! Obviously no more drive through. I’m a “meat and potatoes” kind of girl, I can’t eat salads everyday or I’ll go crazy. Suggestions on some places to eat?
I’ll be taking Tiger’s suggestions as well and buying some bananas and the other things she recommended. But, what about meals?
Thanks
Unread 12-03-2018, 10:09 AM

it would be really hard to know how much sodium is in to go food or restaurant food...but i'm sure it's a lot and you shouldn't have it. soups are the worst (unless you're making them with no sodium broths). rubs and marinades on meats are usually high. you can request no salt/butter in restaurants. it would be very hard to know how much sodium you're getting when eating out for two weeks.
Unread 12-05-2018, 08:08 AM

I am 38 and having my surgery on December 13th as well. My "normal" blood pressure is about 140-150/80-90. It has been for years. I have also suffered back pain for year for which I had a microdiscectomy in March. All my doctors (primary, pain management, neurosurgeon, gyno) have said that high blood pressure can be a result of pain. They told me at my age it isn't anything to worry about. I am at a healthy weight. I eat healthy and exercise regularly so I was told not to worry about it. I suppose after this surgery I will monitor it and see what develops. Meanwhile I am keeping busy with organizing projects at work and home and that seems to help keep my mind off of things. I am looking forward to my period not ruling my life.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register