Driving to Florida 12 days after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Driving to Florida 12 days after hysterectomy Driving to Florida 12 days after hysterectomy

Unread 11-09-2014, 02:28 PM
Driving to Florida 12 days after hysterectomy

Hi. I'm having da Vinci surgery on Tuesday, Nov 11th. I have a trip planned driving from Chicago to Ft Meyers, Fl on Nov 23rd. We will be driving for 8 hours on the first day before stopping for the night. The following day we plan on driving 10-11 hours before stopping for the night but we will be staying there for 2 nights. On the 4th day we will continue on about 3-4 more hours to our final destination. Later that evening we will be flying home. Am I crazy to think that I might actually be able to do this 12 days after surgery? My surgery was originally scheduled for 2 weeks earlier but my Dr was injured in a car accident so it had to be postponed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Re: Driving to Florida 12 days after surgery

I am 17 days post-op, and I know I would not be comfortable sitting that long in the car. This morning I went to church for the first time (third time out of the house!) and I felt every bump in the road. I could grit my teeth and bear it, but I would sure not like to have to ride in the car all day. Is there anyway you could fly both ways? I know if I absolutely had to ride in the car I could, but it sounds problematic to me! Yet everyone is different.
Unread 11-09-2014, 02:51 PM

Is there any flexibility in the timing of your flight home? You've got some pretty long days planned - 8 hours one day, 10-11 hours the next. If you're in truly awful discomfort, you might need to stop sooner than you planned and stay overnight in whatever motel is available before continuing on the next day. If your plans don't allow for this sort of flexibility, you might be advised to rethink them.

The other thing is, you personally (vs you and whoever's going with you) will need your doctor's clearance before taking the wheel of a vehicle. There is a possibility that you will not have it and that your travel partner will need to do all the driving on their own. Are they okay with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2014, 03:32 PM

I traveled 12 hrs by the 11the day, when I asked my Dr, my instructions were to take 1 81mg aspirin every day and stop every 2 hrs to walk because of the bend in the leg could create blood clots, I was able to get in the backseat as well and stretch my legs out, I did fine! Good luck to you!
Unread 11-09-2014, 04:14 PM

My daughter who is a grad school student will be going with me and I'm sure she won't mind doing most of the driving. The flight back was booked months in advance. I'm sure I will be able to change the flight to a later date if I have to. It's just a matter of my daughter being off school for thanksgiving break. I'm taking a new car to an old friend who moved to Florida recently. That's why I'll be flying back. My health comes first though. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how I'm feeling at that point. Thanks for the replies!
Unread 11-10-2014, 07:28 PM

Good luck for tomorrow x
Unread 11-10-2014, 09:37 PM

All along I've actually been looking forward to surgery. Not really the surgery, but the quality of life afterwards. But tonight I was reading the post op Nov 3rd and later and now I'm reaaly nervous. Everyone seems to have unbearable pain and I was hoping it wouldn't be that bad.
Unread 11-10-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharpbrown View Post
Hi. I'm having da Vinci surgery on Tuesday, Nov 11th. I have a trip planned driving from Chicago to Ft Meyers, Fl on Nov 23rd. We will be driving for 8 hours on the first day before stopping for the night. The following day we plan on driving 10-11 hours before stopping for the night but we will be staying there for 2 nights. On the 4th day we will continue on about 3-4 more hours to our final destination. Later that evening we will be flying home. Am I crazy to think that I might actually be able to do this 12 days after surgery? My surgery was originally scheduled for 2 weeks earlier but my Dr was injured in a car accident so it had to be postponed.
Hi jsharpbrown. The most important thing right now is for you to take care of you. Try to rest tonight and tomorrow let your surgeon and medical staff do what they do best -- take care of you. We all heal at different rates. Once you are home, concentrate on your recovery. A Chicago to Florida road trip at 11 days would have been a lot for me. Only your doctor knows your health and can make that judgment call when the time comes. And . . .as you said, your health comes first.

on your surgery. We will see you on the other side. Please let us know how you are.
Unread 11-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Driving to Florida 12 days after hysterectomy

Well I'm on my way. 8 hours and all is good. Just about in Nashville. We're stopping every couple of hours to get up and walk around. So far so good!
Unread 11-23-2014, 06:13 PM
Re: Driving to Florida 12 days after hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharpbrown View Post
Well I'm on my way. 8 hours and all is good. Just about in Nashville. We're stopping every couple of hours to get up and walk around. So far so good!
Have a great trip! :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register