my story: emergency surgery - multiple abscesses in my pelvic region after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

my story: emergency surgery - multiple abscesses in my pelvic region after hysterectomy my story: emergency surgery - multiple abscesses in my pelvic region after hysterectomy

Unread 06-27-2014, 07:55 AM
my story: emergency surgery - multiple abscesses in my pelvic region after hysterectomy

So I had a vaginal hysterectomy on 4/4/2014... The day after my middle child turned 13. Everything was taken but my ovaries and emotionally I was ok with that. I went to ER once for bronchitis. At every follow up I told my surgeon that when I peed it didn't feel right and he ignored me or saying trama, bladder, muscle relaxers, blah blah blah.
On May 18th I wasn't feeling right. Once I started running a fever I went to ER thinking it was my appendix. After staying there for about 14 hours a cat scan, ultrasound and some pain meds my surgeon finally came in and said "I didn't do anything wrong and released me. No meds or anything! He said it was just a cyst that ruptured on my right ovary. My ctscan showed diffused stranding, free fluid in pelvis and an air pocket. His office was suppose to call for a follow up that same week... NEVER heard from them.
Fast forward June 12th still not feeling right and decided to go to my PCM. I had did the at home uti test and it showed up neg. While there did their pee test and she said I had a uti and put me on cipro only... Not even the stuff that makes you pee orange. So on the 18th I went back to her still in pain and now peeing blood. She informed me that my cultured urine didn't grow anything but this was a uti. Now I am in extreme pain in front and on right side, running a fever and feel horrible! I informed her I've had uti's before and they never felt like this. It's a uti she said and gave me a different antibiotic. I asked for the stuff that changes your pee color she said it's not going to help to take aleeve and Advil. After tears in my eyes she did finally give me the stuff and sent me on my way.
I went to records department because something didn't feel right. When I got my reports none of the usual uti stuff was in my urine from either time... Just blood. So I called my insurance when I got home to get approval to go to different ER cause something was not right. I got the approval.
Same day just a few hours later I was in the ER, got a ctscan and was admitted! I had emergency surgery that night for multiple abscesses in my pelvic region. The new surgeon said the pocket in the first was an abcess but now that there was so many they couldn't just drain it. My appendix and right ovary couldn't even be seen on ctscan because of all the infection! I lost my right ovary, my appendix and they had to deep clean my insides. I am lucky to be alive! I am still in pain and after almost 5 days in the hospital I am trying to look at the brighter sides. It's hard though... All my organs are inflamed, I may need more surgery, I'm still on major antibiotics and pain meds. And the Dr has let me know the next month is the most critical cause its impossible to get all the infection out and it could set up again. Now I am stuck back in my "nest" with staples and meds wasting my kids summer.... Hoping this is the end of infections and not the end of me!
A drain back in May could have avoided this... Now I have 3 follow ups with the surgeons who care and saved my life a trauma surgeon, Ob/gyn and urologist. Praying for a decent bill of health.
Moral: please listen to your body no one knows better than you do! And if you don't feel comfortable with the 1st opinion get another! Your kids, family and friends will appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2014, 08:19 AM
Re: my story

Medical report states surgery was for:
Complex right ovarian abscess,
Focal hemorrhagic cystitis,
Acute appendicitis
And unknown if abscess or appendicitis came first
Unread 06-27-2014, 08:37 AM
Re: my story: emergency surgery - multiple abscesses in my pelvic region after hysterectomy

Georgia Peach I sure hope they get it right this time!! And also I hope your insurance plan allows you to stick with these new doctors who actually listened to you!!!

Hugs and many prayers and well-wishes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2014, 09:25 AM
Re: my story: emergency surgery - multiple abscesses in my pelvic region after hysterectomy

I'm so sorry to hear this! That's awful to go thru, I'm glad you kept going back demanding awnsers! I understand your frustration with your doc too. I hope your recovery from here out is smooth. (Hugs)
Unread 06-27-2014, 10:00 AM

Good heavens, honey. I'm so so sorry to hear of everything you've been through! I hope everything goes upwards for you from here on in -- you certainly earned it! *hug*
Unread 06-27-2014, 10:49 AM

Such an important lesson to be on these boards. Listen to your body!! Some doctors are not good and there are many times, for much smaller items, I am amazed at how cavalier some doctors are to fellow hystersisters.

I can't believe how much of an advocate you had to be for yourself. Thank goodness! Sounds like you were heading to Sepsis.

{{hugs}} to you and hope you start feeling better.
Unread 06-27-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach77 View Post
So I had a vaginal hysterectomy on 4/4/2014... The day after my middle child turned 13. Everything was taken but my ovaries and emotionally I was ok with that. I went to ER once for bronchitis. At every follow up I told my surgeon that when I peed it didn't feel right and he ignored me or saying trama, bladder, muscle relaxers, blah blah blah.
On May 18th I wasn't feeling right. Once I started running a fever I went to ER thinking it was my appendix. After staying there for about 14 hours a cat scan, ultrasound and some pain meds my surgeon finally came in and said "I didn't do anything wrong and released me. No meds or anything! He said it was just a cyst that ruptured on my right ovary. My ctscan showed diffused stranding, free fluid in pelvis and an air pocket. His office was suppose to call for a follow up that same week... NEVER heard from them.
Fast forward June 12th still not feeling right and decided to go to my PCM. I had did the at home uti test and it showed up neg. While there did their pee test and she said I had a uti and put me on cipro only... Not even the stuff that makes you pee orange. So on the 18th I went back to her still in pain and now peeing blood. She informed me that my cultured urine didn't grow anything but this was a uti. Now I am in extreme pain in front and on right side, running a fever and feel horrible! I informed her I've had uti's before and they never felt like this. It's a uti she said and gave me a different antibiotic. I asked for the stuff that changes your pee color she said it's not going to help to take aleeve and Advil. After tears in my eyes she did finally give me the stuff and sent me on my way.
I went to records department because something didn't feel right. When I got my reports none of the usual uti stuff was in my urine from either time... Just blood. So I called my insurance when I got home to get approval to go to different ER cause something was not right. I got the approval.
Same day just a few hours later I was in the ER, got a ctscan and was admitted! I had emergency surgery that night for multiple abscesses in my pelvic region. The new surgeon said the pocket in the first was an abcess but now that there was so many they couldn't just drain it. My appendix and right ovary couldn't even be seen on ctscan because of all the infection! I lost my right ovary, my appendix and they had to deep clean my insides. I am lucky to be alive! I am still in pain and after almost 5 days in the hospital I am trying to look at the brighter sides. It's hard though... All my organs are inflamed, I may need more surgery, I'm still on major antibiotics and pain meds. And the Dr has let me know the next month is the most critical cause its impossible to get all the infection out and it could set up again. Now I am stuck back in my "nest" with staples and meds wasting my kids summer.... Hoping this is the end of infections and not the end of me!
A drain back in May could have avoided this... Now I have 3 follow ups with the surgeons who care and saved my life a trauma surgeon, Ob/gyn and urologist. Praying for a decent bill of health.
Moral: please listen to your body no one knows better than you do! And if you don't feel comfortable with the 1st opinion get another! Your kids, family and friends will appreciate it!
Wow! So sorry you are going through this!!!
What didn't "feel right" when "you peed"?
Could the cyst on the ovary have ruptured earlier on causing the initial infection? Were you in pain for that entire month before you went back?
Just sounds like a domino effect in your abdomen.
Unread 06-28-2014, 03:44 AM

Thanks for all the hugs and well wishes! I wish I could say it's all good now but after a ct scan today it's not and now home waiting to find out what they'll do now
New findings:
Ill-defined rim enhancing fluid right lower quadrant measuring 3.7 x*
* **4.4 cm in the postoperative bed, findings favoring phlegmon with*
* **forming abscess.

* **Status post appendectomy and hysterectomy.* * * * * * * * * * * * * **

* **New bilateral pleural effusions, right greater than left and adjacent*atelectasis.

* **15 mm ill-defined fluid left hemi pelvis, likely additional site of*
* **phlegmonous change/postsurgical.
Unread 06-28-2014, 03:55 AM
my story: emergency surgery - multiple abscesses in my pelvic region after hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltsplace View Post
Wow! So sorry you are going through this!!!
What didn't "feel right" when "you peed"?
Could the cyst on the ovary have ruptured earlier on causing the initial infection? Were you in pain for that entire month before you went back?
Just sounds like a domino effect in your abdomen.
It was a weird pee. I mean it wasn't frequent or burning it hurt like hell! And the more full my bladder got the more it hurt. And it was a " big" pee not slow or anything. Then I'd sit there for a minute and pee good again. But if I could get my bladder completely empty if felt a little better.
The new surgeon said he doesn't think the appendix was first. Both ovary and appendix were visible in first ctscan and then the appendix looked fine. They didn't see a complex cyst. They saw free fluid around ovary and inflammation. So it could have been a cyst that started this or it could have been infection that caused the ovary to get angry.
I have a high pain tolerance and 1st visit to ER I was made to think it was nothing so I'm not proud to say that I waited a month to go back. I waited until I could barely move and was running a fever.. And I regretted going that day to when my PCM said it was a uti. But I had to leave my ego behind and figure out what exactly was ruining my life & summer. Now I know it was right for me to not give up! If I would have it could have and probably would've killed me
Unread 06-28-2014, 10:36 AM

That is so scary!

When do you hear about what they are doing about your new CT scan?

Lots of hystersister hugs!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register