Upcoming hysterectomy 2/12: All backed up? Bowel prep? Now? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 2/12: All backed up? Bowel prep? Now? Upcoming hysterectomy 2/12: All backed up? Bowel prep? Now?

Unread 01-24-2018, 07:34 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/12: All backed up? Bowel prep? Now?

I know it takes a while to go after having your surgery, and when you go they don't want you to have to push... I'm one who's prone to constipation already so I was thinking of doing something now to get myself more regular, before my surgery in 18 days. Does anyone recommend anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2018, 07:57 AM
Re: All backed up? Bowel prep?

Ask your surgeon. Some want you to do bowel prep and some absolutely do not want you to. Mine did not want me to at all - she said that newer studies are finding that your colon wakes up faster if you don’t. I don’t know if this is true or not. But whatever your surgeon says, goes, or you may not be able to have surgery. You can also ask if you can start taking a stool softener (not a laxative) like Colese now. Some doctors I’ve heard will permit this.

If you’re not to do bowel prep then start eating healthy now - lots of green veggies and fiber. Figure out foods that agree with you (or foods that might make you a little “loose” - that’s a benefit, too). Magnesium rich foods are great like pumpkin seeds. Also buy a squatty potty or similar type stool. It truly, honestly, has made all the difference in the world for me post op. Make sure you stock up on fiber rich, poop friendly snacks for post surgery.

Regardless of what you do, I think most people are going to have issues with their first couple of #2’s. Stock up on things to help you. So far a supplement called Magnesium Glycinate has been my best friend (you can find it with natural supplements). I take one every evening with my dinner. If one doesn’t create a BM for you, then take 1 and a half or 2 the next day. Likewise if one is too much, then decrease the amount you take. One has been my magic number so far though. It won’t give you cramps like a laxative - just keeps things naturally “smooth”. It’s also not habit forming - it’s natural - so as far as I know it’s safe (you should ask your doctor about it if you’re concerned - the supplement was suggested to my mother by a doctor following one of her spinal surgeries - I was skeptical but my OBGYN gave the green light and it’s been all I have needed). You may also want to pick up a laxative of some sort just in case. If you don’t go by day 5 or so, you will be told to call your doctor. The first line of defense is usually a laxative and it’s a lot less embarrassing to already have one on hand then need to have someone pick it up for you. The little glycerine suppositories are my personal favorites because you can predict when you need to do your business (usually within 15 minutes of using one) and they don’t cause upset gurgly intestines (which is absolutely painful those first few days). I haven’t needed them this time around, but I did pick up a container before I had surgery.

Best of luck to you! It’s truly not as bad as I imagined. Just stay ahead of the pain and the constipation.
Unread 01-24-2018, 09:07 AM
Re: All backed up? Bowel prep?

Do not, do not, do not take anything without clearing it with your surgeon first.

By me, the best way to avoid constipation is the slow and gradual reintroduction of solid food after surgery. My hospital insisted on this and I had no issues with constipation. I was just trading messages yesterday with another sister who had the same experience.

In my case, I got water only the evening of and the first day after surgery. The second day I got liquids and mushy solids. The third day I got regular food. The fourth day I got - diarrhea! But I ate plain yogurt with active cultures, and that fixed the diarrhea.

My bowels certainly seemed to benefit from being given a couple of days to recover and not being expected to swing into action immediately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2018, 06:52 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/12: All backed up? Bowel prep? Now?

The absolute best thing you can do to get your bowels moving after your surgery is to get up and start moving around as soon as possible. Also make sure you're drinking enough water so that your urine is clear or pale yellow, so you don't end up trying to pass rocks; stocking up on peppermint tea can also help. If you're looking for relief from the drugstore, my top pick would be a psyllium-based product like Metamucil, which can help to hydrate and soften your stools for easier passage; stocking up on frozen blueberries and oatmeal can also help in this regard. Also look for something to elevate your feet while you're on the throne, like a Squatty Potty or a low stool; this can help to prevent straining, by properly aligning the rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly. Going right after every meal can also help by stimulating the gastro-colic reflex, in which the stomach tells the brain that it's full, then the brain tells the colon to empty its contents, to make room for the new stuff coming in. Best wishes for a successful surgery, and for getting back to 💩 soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register