Possible cyst on remaining ovary | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Possible cyst on remaining ovary Possible cyst on remaining ovary

Unread 12-27-2004, 04:43 PM
Possible cyst on remaining ovary

Hi, I had my hysterectomy 2 years and 3 months ago. Everything was taken out except for my left ovary.(per my request to leave ovaries if they were ok) A couple of weeks ago I awoke to a sharp pain on my left side. Went to GP DR. and he diagnosed diverticulitis and put me on antibiotics, the pain slightly subsided to a dull ache (tolerable, yet uncomfortable) He then ordered a cat scan on Wed. and verbally got a report they see some sort of mass there. He told me to go see my OB Dr. cause he now thinks its a cyst on my remaining ovary. Went to OB dr. today and he's waiting for the written report on the cat scan from the lab as I'm writing this. My question is since I had everything taken out already except my left ovary, what is involved with removal and how long in hospital and how long to recoup? (should this be my problem)
I've been waiting since wed. very patiently but I am now VERY anxious and not looking forward to my last ovary removal. this post is a little premature since I'm not sure what it is but I was hoping maybe someone been thru this and can shed some light on this while I wait for the dr. to call me. Thanks for any help and knowledge, this site is great and helped me so tremendously 2 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2004, 05:10 PM

Hi,

I had my LAVH about 3 years ago - I kept both ovaries. I have always had cysts on my ovaries. Many women have ovarian cysts and do not even know that they have them. Most times the cysts will go away on their own. About a year ago I began to have pain in my right pelvic area. Several cysts had turned from simple, fluid filled cysts to complex, solid mass cysts. Six months ago I had my right ovary removed along with some adhesions. I kept the left overy - fluid was drained from a cyst on that ovary and the ovary was wrapped in mesh to better protect it from adhesions. The ovarian mass I had was benign. The only way to positively diagnosis adhesions is by having lapraoscopic surgery. A CT scan, MRI, or ultrasound does not always show what the problems is.

You could have cysts - if you do they could go away on their own. Whether or not cysts need to be removed depends on the size of the cyst, its appearance, any symptoms you may be having related to the cyst. Sometimes just the cyst can be removed, saving the ovary. If the cyst doesn't go away, gets larger, or has changed from simple to complex your doctor may want remove the ovary.

I had my ovary and adhesions removed by lapraoscopic surgery. It was done as out-patient surgery. The recovery was about 3-4 weeks. My doctor said to plan on having the surgery laparascopically but I was told that if the ovary and ovarian mass was too large, the adhesions were worse than expected, or anything serious was found when he got inside a larger incision might need to be made. Fortunately I was able to have the laparascopic surgery.

Here are links to other threads you might find helpful:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...light=incision

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ighlight=ovary

s
Unread 12-27-2004, 05:11 PM

They do not have to remove the ovary if you don't want. Cysts can be treated with a small surgery, most don't re-appear.
My sis has had this op done twice in 20 years. With that time frame my sis thought the risk of it returning better than having it taken away.

Concidering this is you only ovary, trying to conseve it should be the primary of the Dr.

If they do have to remove the ovary it can be done by Lap with a 7/10 day recovery.

I hope this calms your nerves a little

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2004, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm still waiting for either Dr. to return my call on the report. OB wants to wait for CT report before I go get a pelvic ultrasound. In the meantime I'll just wait.
Unread 01-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Need more imput anyone

Hi, its me again. Well after waiting for the Dr. report, my ObGYN calls and says "you have nothing to worry about" All cancer test, (ca 125 and pap ) came out negative and pelvic shows only a 1.5 c cist. We will monitor this but at this time no surgery needed, dont worry if I don't call you, only worry if I call you." so I asked what about the pain, (its now traveling to my other side and all thru my lower back) he suggested stress and anxiety are causing the pain. Now I really feel stressed. I have been trying to ignore this pain but last night pain was pounding and my whole lower back was aching (never had a backache before) My question is can a little tiny cist like this cause so much pain?
I plan to go back to my GP on Mon. to see if they have ruled out diverticulitis. I am getting a little paranoid and I am not one to be always going to Dr.'s but this pain is real! Anyone been thru this? Is it really in my head. On top of all this my GP says I have begining stages of diabetes and now I have a yeast infection. Would that cause pain?
Sorry to be so long and whining but I need someone to talk to. DH doesnt understand and best friend says "Let it go!" Thanks for any response
Unread 01-01-2005, 01:42 PM

Have you discussed the possibility of adhesions with your doctor? The only way to positively diagnosis adhesions is by having lapraoscopic surgery. A CT scan, MRI, or ultrasound does not always show what the problems is. The problem may not be just the cyst.
Unread 01-06-2005, 10:54 PM
ME TOO!!!!

OH MY !!!! This is my very first visit here and my first post. I am going thru the exact same thing ! I had my Hysterectomy in October 2003 during my fourth cesearean section. I had no warning at all . I went in to my scheduled c-sec awake at 9:00 a.m. and woke up at 4:00p.m. with one baby removed and a uterus,cervix, and left ovary removed too. (I was diagnosed with placenta encreta)Talk about post partum depression!!!! Well since 3 months post -op I had been dealing with low back pain , everyday same spot . 3 weeks ago the pain disappeared completely . I was elated . My life was back to normal . I was so relieved. THEN on January 3rd , I woke up at 11:30 p.m. with a horrible pain in my right groin area and it continues to ache and hurt. After a visit to the ER and a visit to an OB/GYN , I was told that I have a 18 cm fluid filled cyst on my REMAINING ovary and that it is not cancerous . I was also advised to wait and see what happens .Come back in a month for an ultrasound and to see your OB/GYN. BUT what about this horrible pain . I can't function like this . I have four chilldren and a husband to care for. They said that they could drain it but it WILL come back.

I feel the same way as they do . They don't want to take my ovary as much as I don't want them to take it. BUT I can't live like this either. Has anyone here been given any onther options?

Thanks for listening to me,
Angela in CA
Unread 01-11-2005, 05:49 PM
ovarian cyst

This is kinda wierd I had hyster left the left ovary 1/30/02. I have always had cysts and they were to remove that ovary in surgery but the right one had a growth on it so they decided to take it and leave the left one..I am now scheduled to have my left ovary removed alone with 3 cysts ranging from 3 to 4 cm. I am concerned with cancer and have been told that they don't think it is and try not to worry.(better said than done)...
they have been watching them since the 1st of nov. I have had 3 different opinions and they all recomended surgery.. so here we go. I know they come and go and cause horrible pain from what I have heard is that if they are larger than 4 cm and do not go away after a few months it is better to have then removed.

good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register