Home alone after hysterectomy - need tips | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home alone after hysterectomy - need tips Home alone after hysterectomy - need tips

Unread 02-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Home alone after hysterectomy - need tips

I haven't scheduled my hysterectomy yet. I still have to meet with a general surgeon next week because of a hernia we're going to do at the same time. So I'm going to get a TAH and a hernia repair. I think this means I'll be even less mobile than from just a TAH.

My family is out of town, and I live alone. I do have friends that'll help out, but I can't really ask them to come over every single day and do things for me.

I need to plan! I was going to stock up on frozen dinners, canned goods, etc. so I wouldn't need to go to the grocery store for a while. And I was thinking of hiring a maid service to come in a few times to clean and take out the garbage. And maybe a petting sitting service to clean the cat's litter box.

Any other tips on how to deal with this alone? Should I look into getting a nurse to visit, perhaps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2014, 09:10 AM
Re: Home alone after surgery - need tips

Frozen meals for sure. There are great recipes here on the site.

You have some time so maybe go through your house and your daily activities and think "No lifting. No bending, I'm going to feel awful and won't be upright for a long period at first. What will I need for day to day care and feeding of myself."

Paper plates and disposable cups are a life saver. Along with moving the things you'll want (snacks, single serve drinks, your hairbrush, towels, clothes, etc...) to the counter tops. You will not be up to reaching and bending.

Also, search the Hints from Members section for tips for recovering alone. I'm sure there are some in there.

If you have friends coming to help maybe get some of those disposable litter boxes so they can toss the whole thing and put a fresh one down. Then you don't need a pet sitter.
Unread 02-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Re: Home alone after hysterectomy - need tips

((Andi Babe))

Have you found our Pre-Op Page yet? It's packed with information and articles that address all commonly asked questions, but you may also wish to check out this post-op Living Alone and Recovering from Hysterectomy article, too.

We're sending positive thoughts!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2014, 09:53 AM

Thank you! The article has some great suggestions, and I never thought of a disposable litter box. That's a good idea too.
Unread 02-27-2014, 04:59 PM

I actually boarded my cats for the first few days... still kittens and they liked to be picked up and scared they were going to jump on me while sleeping. Was so glad when they came home tho. Make sure your nest has everything handy. I got a tray table and plugged all my charging cords into a power strip... I then taped the ends to the edge of the table - never fails, they always fall when you are reaching for them.
Unread 02-27-2014, 05:48 PM

When you're stocking up on groceries, don't forget kibble and litter for the cats and things like TP and toiletries for yourself. :-)

Besides the usual pre-surgery cleaning and laundry, I also bought some spray-on silicone lubricant and made sure my windows opened and closed smoothly enough that I could adjust them without undue strain.

And while I got all the heavy chores out of the way before surgery, I stock-piled a bunch of smaller mending jobs that I could do while sitting. This really helped after surgery when I might otherwise have felt that I was "just sitting around" and "not getting anything done." I could feel both relaxed *and* productive! :-)

I was in the hospital for three days and was glad to see my two cats when I got home - and vice versa. We had a bit of a discussion about not kneading Mumma's belly, but otherwise they were great companions. Consider your cats to be your napping gurus! The family that sleeps together, keeps together.
Unread 02-27-2014, 10:06 PM

Hi Ande,
All good advice above. I was just going to mention to try and put everything as close to waist level as possible. The hardest thing for me has been bending. I put all of my comfy, baggy clothes in the top drawers of my dressers & groceries/toiletries/meds on top of counters. I also got a grabber because it is great when I drop something. Also, next to my bed, I put together my pile of books, dvds, my computer, pen, paper, etc. or anything else you will need to keep you from getting bored. I got an twin electric blanket so I could adjust the heat with the dial--when I have a hot flash it gets tossed aside until the chill comes afterward, haha. The thing I have used the most is my heating pad--Sunbeam 732-500 King Size Heating Pad with UltraHeatTechnology on Amazon for $20. I am past 7 weeks now and feeling great. Hope this helps and best wishes to you, CJ
Unread 02-28-2014, 06:18 AM

Hi Ande, ALL great advice above. I will add to buy bigger size panties for after surgery, you don't want anything tight, also, have loose robes, pjs to be around the house, you have have them all washed and ready for when you come home from the hospital. Also, have in your home lots of fruits, yogurts and stool softener that you can start taking the day you come home or from the hospital, that will help you go to the bathroom without pushing, some of the pain medication causes constipation. Also a small pillow placed between the seat belt of your car and your belly will help you on the ride home from the hospital. God bless!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register