Rectocele repair and other questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rectocele repair and other questions Rectocele repair and other questions

Unread 08-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Rectocele repair and other questions

I am going to schedule my date this week and before my appointment would like to make a list of things to ask my Dr. I know my mind will be completely blank when I see him. I have no clue what to ask, other than if he will try to leave my ovaries, and how long will the hospital stay be? What answers should I be looking for?

Also, I have a rectocele. Has anyone ever heard of having that repaired as part of the hysterectomy surgery?

Wags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2005, 11:24 AM

I had a recotecle repair along with vaginal hysterectomy and bladder repair on July 11, 2005. Very common. The rectocele repair hasn't given me as much problem as the bladder repair. Best wishes to you!
Unread 08-10-2005, 11:47 AM

Hi,

I had a rectocele repair with my TVH. It was uncomfortable to sit after the surgery, so be sure to get a pillow to sit on, maybe a donut pillow.

I have been very pleased with the repair since my surgery .

Here is a link to our Pre-op articles which may help you prepare for your dr visit.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsl...s=&forumid=170

Best wishes,

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2005, 03:10 PM

I also will be having a posterior repair with my TVH next tues. Many of the sisters here have had repairs with their hyst. I did not know about mine until someone else posted about hers and that hers "disappears" when laying on her back. This was when I decided to have it checked. Thank you hystersisters, I hopfully won't require another surgery in a few years, because I knew the right ?'s to ask. There is a list of preop questions in the above link, it was very helpful just add things that apply only to you, I typed mine up and had a copy for me and one for the doc. GL angela
Unread 08-10-2005, 03:36 PM
rectocele repair

I had a rectocele repair with my TVH/ BSO and it is excellent. It's important to make sure your doc has lots of experience with the procedure.
Unread 08-10-2005, 03:51 PM

Hi
I just got out of the hospital on Sunday and had a cystocele (bladder repair) and a rectocele repair along with a hysterectomy and my ovaries out. I'm 54 and so because of my age, the doctor thought it was best to take them. I have heard some horrifying stories of women in my age group who kept them when they had a hysterectomy and then found out soon later they had ovarian ca. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I had what you're going to have done. My rectum was falling down along with my bladder which was really fallen. My worst problem postop has been constipation. I have been out of the hospital 3 days and I guess because of all the pain meds and anesthesia, I was severely constipated. Last night I finally moved my bowels after lots of water, fluids, no real solid food other than fruit (to help make me go), lots of stool softeners and finally two doses of milk of magnesia! When I finally moved my bowels, it was like passing a brick, it hurt so bad. Thank God, the stool was normal looking. I am very grateful to be in such wonderful shape otherwise, and very thankful to God. I was praying and others were praying for me. I really feel that He brought me through along with the skill of the surgeon. You know, God is just waiting on us to ask Him for whatever help we need. I asked Him to be in that OR room with the surgeon and nurses and to guide everything that they did. So, even though the constipation thing was scary, He brought me through that too. I still have my catheter though. They are going to try to take it out on Friday. They tried today but my bladder filled up with water that I drank and then I couldn't pass it. But I just wanted to write back to say I did have the rectocele. It's basically that the rectum has fallen and they have to stitch it up. Ask your doc about milk of magnesia and stool softeners postop if you feel constipated. God bless you and I hope everything goes well for you.
Unread 08-10-2005, 04:41 PM

I am 2 weeks post-op. I too had a TVH with a rectocele (stage 3-which is really bad) and bladder repair. It is so normal to get all things repaired at the same time. Just make sure you have a stool softner as soon as the dr. lets you take anything by mouth. It HURTS if you have to pass a hard stool. Just make sure to drink plenty of water and eat a high fiber diet too. Also, ask your Dr. to give you a stool softner that won't produce a lot of gas. I was given one that made my tummy hurt so bad with gas, it hurt to have a soft BM. And remember that you are going to be sore. I am still sore and have to keep switching positions so my bottom dosn't hurt so bad. Good luck in your surgery. I will be thinking about you.
Unread 08-11-2005, 06:05 AM

You are all the best! Thank you for your swift replies. Especially thanks to SuzyQ for the link to the important questions to ask. I knew there must be a comprehensive list here somewhere, but I'm new to the site and still finding my way around. It's encouraging to know that my body is not the only rebellious one, falling apart at the early age of 46! And I've taken such good care of it too, keeping in shape and eating right... what a traitor!

Anyway, thanks again ladies. You will all be hearing more from me as I get my surgery date.

And Cubby, I too believe that God will give me all I ask, I'm thinking about asking to be 25 again! ;-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register